• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Can exercise and positivity overcome M.E. / CFS? A look at the evidence" (by Tanya Marlow)

Dolphin

Thought this was interesting:

What about CBT? Isn’t it a good thing to have CBT for ME, like counselling services for those who have cancer?

It would be wonderful if that’s what CBT for ME meant. Unfortunately, CBT for ME is based on the assumption that the condition is caused by ‘false illness beliefs’, and the therapy revolves around trying to persuade ME patients that they are not ill, and they need to stop listening to their body and ignore their symptoms.

Perversely, this means that ME patients have less access to counselling, rather than more. As a housebound ME patient, I asked for counselling in coming to terms with the limitations of the illness. I was refused telephone counselling or an NHS counsellor to visit me at home, on the grounds that ME patients should be ‘encouraged’ to ‘get out and about’.