• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can anyone translate - vagal tone & baroreceptors?

Snookum96

Hello,

I recently had a tilt table test and the cardiologist dx'd me with POTS. I was just reading through the report and there is one part that I don't understand.

"She does have recruitable vagal tone in response to baroreceptor stimulation as well as inappropriate sinus tachycardic response to orthostatic stress."

The part about the tachycardic response I believe is the part about POTS but I don't understand what the part about recruitable vagal tone.

Anyone know what that means?

Thanks!

rosamary

Just to bump this up and let you know that someone read it, well...I tried a bit of searching etc but...reckon you need to ask them what that means.

Good luck.

halcyon

Vagal tone refers to activity of the vagus nerve. Activation of the cardiac branch of the vagus nerve causes a lowering of heart rate. Baroreceptors are stretch sensors in our arteries that sense blood pressure and signal to the brain to speed up or slow down the heart rate in response to pressure changes. So I imagine what they are saying is that in response to stimulus that would activate the baroreceptors, they saw a lowering of heart rate as expected.