• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

call for info on safe antioxidant supplemention

xena

hi everyone,

i keep reading that some antioxidants turn into pro-oxidants in the body and can cause damage. and there are those studies showing taking (some kinds!) of antioxidants with higher health risks. i am wondering how to mitigate that risk and to supplement safely while achieving significant anti-inflammatory benefits.

i have seen some specific recs, like taking the family of vitamin e tocopherols rather than just one. also, that some antioxidants- like astaxanthin and relatives- don't turn into pro oxidants.
and that antioxidants found in foods don't have that issue. i think i read on here somewhere that taking too much vitamin c at a time can cause problems (might be misremembering that).

i have not had much success in finding info about this in general (theory of how to balance different kinds of antioxidants, how much of each it is safe to take) or more specific recommendations. if anyone knows about this topic or can link to good resources, please share here! thanks :)

this one slideshow has some helpful explanations and recommendations- http://www.nutraq.com/content/download/1142/17613/file/How do antioxidants work_NutraQ.pdf

hello Xena,

I,m not medical educated, but i know from direct scientific sources that tocotrinols do have better anti/oxidant effects, also you should try to avoid the intake of alpha tocopherols (more than 20 iu a day), because it is known that these inhibit the uptake of other (tocotrinols)/vitamin E which do have much more anti oxidant potential.

Also i was informed that in order to increase the serum levels of vitamin C orally (which can be usefull), you do have to take it very frequently during the day (most can also not bear large simultaneously intake of vitamin c also!).

greetings,
fiesta

Martial

As far as I understand Herbal anti oxidants and flavonoids are less likely to turn pro oxidant, the most reported cases of turning pro oxidant were high doses of certain vitamins like E, and C like you mentioned. I never heard of something like COQ10, Flavonoids, and plant derived antioxidants turning pro oxidant. On a side note Japanese Knotweed is probably one of the best anti oxidants you can take.

ahmo

This is a list from Martin Pall, who recommends antioxidants to help regulate the nitric oxide cycle. There are links for his work in my signature. I've been using strong green tea and lot's of carrots as my primary antioxidants.

Below taken from the varied protocols quoted by Pall:

flavonoids, including “bioflavonoids,” olive leaf extract, organic botanicals, hawthorn extract

Flavonoids (flavones, rutin, hesperetin and others)

Grape seed extract (flavonoid)

Four different flavonoid sources: Ginkgo biloba extract, cranberry extract, silymarin, and bilberry extract

Resveratrol

GABA agonists—GABA acts as an inhibitory neurotransmitter to lower NMDA activity—these include the drug neurotin (gabapentin)

Histamine blockers—mast cells which release histamine are activated by both nitric oxide and vanilloid stimulation (Chapter 7) and may therefore be part of the cycle mechanism

Spirulina—blue-green alga is a concentrated antioxidant source

Curcumin

Algal supplements

Artichoke extract—as flavonoid source?

Carotenoids (alpha-carotene, bixin, zeaxanthin and lutein)-lipid (fat) soluble peroxynitrite scavengers

Other phosphatidyl polyunsaturated lipids—this and the phosphatidyl choline are predicted to help restore the oxidatively damaged mitochondrial inner membrane

SOD minerals/zinc,manganese, copper

Zinc—antioxidant properties and copper/zinc superoxide dysmutase precursor

Selenium

Magnesium

Acetyl-L-carnitine—important for restoring mitochondrial function

Vitamin B6 in the form of pyridoxal phosphat—balance glutamate and GABA levels, lowers excitotoxicity

Riboflavin 5’-phosphate

Folate

a-Lipoic acid

Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)

Tocopherols/Tocotrienols Gamma form of Vitamin E

Long chain omega-3 fatty acids

Taurine

Inosine/uric acid

Creatine

Carnosine

TRH

D-ribose