• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

calcium and magnesium together?

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
this has gone back and forth in the supplement world, so I'm asking here if anyone has thrashed out all the advice: do they inhibit each others' absorption? Thanks.

peggy-sue

No, in a word. :)
The body has a huge resource of calcium - in the bones. Calcium and magnesium ions are both essential for the creation of nerve impulses and all sorts of really basic and important body functions

If you start taking magnesium and that level rises, your body will "leach out", from your bones, enough calcium to balance the extra magnesium in your system - so if you are taking extra magnesium, you need to take a molecular equivalent amount of calcium - to protect your bones.

Lotus97

this has gone back and forth in the supplement world, so I'm asking here if anyone has thrashed out all the advice: do they inhibit each others' absorption? Thanks.
I've read different things about this. Some people say that magnesium increases calcium absorption when taken at the same time while others say that taking magnesium at the same time decreases calcium absorption. I've also read differing opinions about whether to take calcium and magnesium with food or on an empty stomach.
No, in a word. :)
The body has a huge resource of calcium - in the bones. Calcium and magnesium ions are both essential for the creation of nerve impulses and all sorts of really basic and important body functions

If you start taking magnesium and that level rises, your body will "leach out", from your bones, enough calcium to balance the extra magnesium in your system - so if you are taking extra magnesium, you need to take a molecular equivalent amount of calcium - to protect your bones.
It seems like if you're taking an adequate amount of Vitamin D and especially Vitamin K (in the form of K2 either MK-4 or MK-7 or both) you wouldn't have the problem of calcium leaching out of bones.

This piece by Dr. Carolyn Dean helps to explain how calcium and magnesium interact and work together. This piece came out sometime after the publication of the 2nd edition of her book "The magnesium miracle" in 2007 and includes additional info about magnesium. Different types of magnesium supplements and includes some of her own experiences with magnesium supplements and her search for the most absorbable form's of magnesium. It includes a list of foods high in calcium and foods that are high in magnesium.
http://www.utahsportsandwellness.com/pdfs/ChangeMagnesium.pdf