• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bronchitis

Googsta

Doing Well
'Morning Justy,
I've had x-rays but not a CT.
I'll try to get my doc to arrange one. Can't get in to see him until Tuesday, if he thinks antiB's I'll take them. I can't afford to have pneumonia in my current state.

I was ready for the ER last night, it's like I'm breathing in smoke through a tube. But the ill-treatment regarding the M.E just wasn't worth it.

I managed a few hours sleep last night but I've run a low-grade fever since around 4pm yesterday, I'll monitor that today. The vapouriser is the best thing but it can get quite uncomfortable when you are running hot :p

Thanks for your concern ;)

kurt

I also get upper respiratory infection and bronchitis twice a year most years. Usually around the season-change (just before Autumn and Spring Equinox). I believe it is a persistant viral infection and that I've had it since childhood, and the sickness at season change reflects weakening of the immune system during the change in environmental pollens (which probably overload something).

As a young child I got bronchitis a lot and not much helped, except I was put in a steam tent regularly and eventually had tonsils removed. That solve the problem until I got CFS, then it came back.

What helps me with these episodes is vaporizor, essential oils (many different ones, have dozens), olive leaf extract (for its anti-viral properties), nasal irrigation (saline) when there is blockage of sinus or ear canals, heat, guaifenesin, and a lot of rest. Also, the last two times I have experimented with MMS (chlorine dioxide solution) and that seems to have stopped the infection, but I had to take small doses (to not upset the stomach).

I too have bronchitis attacks every year. I have had it for 6 weeks now and was in hospital for 4 days. Thay didn't give me antibiotics because they said it was a viral infection.I don't have a productive cough just a dry one. So for me I have to just endure it...it can take up to 12 weeks for a viral infection to go. But I feel it is always there hidden and ready to break out and am always sob.

I take an acuhaler once a day and ventolin puffer which slows down the coughing a bit. Its so annoying. I wish there was an antiviral that would clear it up, and clear up all the other viruses by body is hanging on to. Ican't take herbal supplements and feel caught between a rock and a hard place :(

hixxy

probably a weak immune system. My doc is a fan of long courses of doxycycline for chronic sinus and chest infections, it seems to be effective against alot of bacterial infections in cfs, staph, mycoplasma chlamydia pnuemonia. If prone to it through the winter it might be a good preventative to take throughout the season, just need to remember good probiotics while on antibiotics.

cheers!!!

Which doctor are you seeing heapsreal?

baccarat

Doxy won't clear bad bronchitis or pneumonia for good. I tried it but it used to come back after a while.
What really killed it was a round of Moxifloxacin. This completely cleared my lungs.
That was followed by Azithromycin together with Metronidazole which wasn't meant for the bronchitis but felt it kinda gave me stronger immunity to bugs and I never had a respiratory infection since.

That was after years I was told my problem was viral. This superficial approach seems quite popular in the Anglosaxon world. Fortunately I happened to be abroad during a relapse and was treated as I should have been since the problem started.
My impression is that this is a sure way to develop a full blown CFS. You get a bacterial infection and they tell you not to worry that it's a virus and will sort itself out with time. Guess what, it never does.

Googsta,
If you can find some iodine solution for inhalation/nebuliser that's very effective I found.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Which doctor are you seeing heapsreal?

DrDeed mediwell med ctr cooparoo. Doxycycline is good abx for longtern treatment of many of these infection, some like chest infections need strong abx maybe iv to start with and then stick to doxy for a few months?? Seems to be helping me with sinuses as well as trying to bring up the immune system.

cheers!!!

Googsta

Doing Well
Hi, seems a virus was the culptrit this time as my husband has it now also, but no Bronchitis symptoms in his case.

The only real way to know if antiB's are in order is to do a sputum sample, otherwise you end up on the wrong drug anyway. Unfortunately I couldn't even walk to the loo for 6 hours yesterday so I had to cancel the doctor :(
I'm cancelling 9 out of 10 appointments now, I'll have to look into home visits or district nurse because this is hopeless.

I discussed buying a nebuliser or an oxygen concentrator with Husband, but it seems you really need a respiratory team managing these treatments not to do more harm.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Googsta - so sorry it has got this bad for you. Has your doctor considered a short course of steroids to bring down inflammation and help you to breathe? I have had to do this a couple of times and it was the only thing that helped me to breathe - you shouldn't be left in this kind of state.
Hugs, Justy.

Googsta

Doing Well
Hi Justy,

no, no-one has ever mentioned steroids, the most I have ever had is ventolin & seratide with some antiB's.

It's just happening to frequently now, I'll have to pursue it & with another doctor, groan.

The breathing has been a bit better, I'm just exhausted mostly I think from running temps & coughing.
Thanks for your concern, don't worry I am not alone, hubs is here ;) .

taniaaust1

I hope it gets better for you soon.

I was in hospital on an antibiotic drip for a week last year due to double pneumonia, which they thought may of been caused by staph in my lungs (i still dont know the results of that sputum test).

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Googsta - glad you have your husband with you and that things are easing.
Take care, Justy x

Googsta

Doing Well
Pneumonia is no fun Tania, that's for sure :(

When I had pneumonia they did a sputum test but it took a bit to get the result. Meantime I went back to doctor & said the AntiB's they put me on weren't working, he refused to change until the result came back. When it did I was called back to see them again as I did need a different drug.
I know this is the process they follow but there must be a better way. People with chronic disease should be automatically admitted to hospital (IMO) if they have pneumonia, they shouldn't be expected to run around having x-rays, tests, paying for multiple prescriptions etc.
No-one has ever checked my oxygen sat during any of these infections.

I thought I'd report how the Bronchitis is going. I cut my magnesium & the pain skyrocketed to an all time high, it has been unbearable so I started back on it yesterday.

I am breathing much better, if I lay certain way's it is more difficult but on the whole I am not starved of air.
I still have a terrible cough but it's not productive now. I am going to attribute that to N-A-C, I've never had the mucus dry up this well without antiB's, so worth a try if you have similar problems.
Just don't leave it too long, you don't want to get worse. I couldn't manage getting to the doctors so it was a good alternative & thankfully paid off.
Thanks for all the support ;)

i also have chronic lung problems. not sure what the problem is. am sick of it! its not my regular asthma, and i was just on antibiotics for it and i still have it. lung xray was didn't show anything according to dr. at this point i will probably have to see a pulmonologist. i bet i will go thru the regular testing they do- and prob nothing will show up. (which is good of course, except i want to know what is wrong and how to fix it.) i am guessing that this might be related to cfs as some sort of immune problem. maybe CPN. (clamydia pneumonia) or something. we shall see.
good luck to everyone with thse lung issues!
bigmama2