International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day Is On May 12, 2018
Thomas Hennessy, Jr., selected May 12th to be our international awareness day back in 1992. He knew that May 12th had also been the birthday of Florence Nightingale. She was the English army nurse who helped to found the Red Cross as well as the first school of nursing in the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Breathing Issues/Awareness

Discussion in 'Autonomic, Cardiovascular, and Respiratory' started by GreenMachineX, Feb 27, 2018.

1. GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX Senior Member

For the past 6 weeks I’ve been experiencing a few strange symptoms in relation to breathing, a lump in my throat that seems to happen shortly after eating and goes away with enough burping (haven’t had in 3 days since beginning 3mg melatonin nightly), and another issue of breathing difficulty.

It’s not necessarily difficulty as it is an exaggerated awareness of my breathing and making sure I continue to breathe. I haven’t actually stopped breathing ever, but it also feels like the space in my rib cage won’t allow for full breaths. It’s very strange and doesn’t happen with any consistency. It hasn’t happened while working out at all. My o2 saturation can be 99% when it’s happening.

Has anyone experienced this? It all started after I ceased all supplements (about 5 days after) which I did because of an overmethylation nightmare that I didn’t know what it was at the time. I have histamine intolerance but no asthma. I’ve had chest X-rays and doctors listen to my lungs and found nothing. I don’t get it.

2. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    OI for me, check your Hear rate and see if it is too high. You have to monitor it specially when you are upright for long

3. GreenMachineX

What is OI?

My heart rate is usually 60-80 depending on what I’m doing, never too high or low when I feel it.

4. lafarfelue

lafarfelue Senior Member

Australia
    OI = Orthostatic Intolerance. Sits under the umbrella of Dysautonomia. Quite a few people with ME/CFS have dysautonomia/OI/POTS. Perhaps worth looking into?

Alternatively, you can search for 'air hunger' here on these forums. There's a fair bit of information that may help.

GreenMachineX likes this.
  5. GreenMachineX

6. GreenMachineX

I’d also like to point out that this symptom only occurs during the day. Never at night. That is starting to lead me to believe it’s partly psychological.

I do get the “air hunger” or “out of breath for no reason” once a week during the night, but that’s a different symptom.

7. Eastman

Eastman Senior Member

Were you suspecting GERD for that part of your problem?

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: More Than Heartburn
    Melatonin for the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease.
    The potential therapeutic effect of melatonin in gastro-esophageal reflux disease

8. GreenMachineX

Yep, that’s exactly why I started the heavy dose melatonin, as well as insomnia, and it seems to be working already.

jesse's mom likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.