• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Body clock 'alters' immune system

Calathea

Oh, dear old BBC, presenting long-known facts as if they were startling news.

The implications for healthcare could mean that drugs need to be given at certain times of day in order to make them more effective

Yes, we've all known that for years. Go and read The Body Clock Guide to Better Health, and follow up its references, if you want to know more.

I've had my body clock all over the place (Non-24 Sleep-Wake Cycle), and I've managed to wrestle it back to normal using light and darkness therapies, and I'm trying to think whether it affected my immunity in any noticeable way. Not that I recall, but it's not actually one of the more obvious things for me. The obvious differences were in things like pain levels, which go shooting up when I sleep badly, and my digestive tract not being able to settle down to a regular schedule. It's entirely possible that I get fewer colds now than when my body clock was crazy, but I can't remember. There are so many factors involved with catching a cold, and the biggest is probably that I now live with my partner, who works in retail, and is thus likely to bring home one or two colds a year. Anyway, isn't there a possibility that people with ME actually catch fewer colds due to an overactive immune system?

alex3619

Hi, in line with what Calathea was said, I was taught a lot of this in biochemistry lectures, circa 2002. There have been advancements in understanding the mechanisms though. Bye, Alex

mellster

Marco
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fewer colds and higher pain level thing plus digestive disturbances as this is what I have been experiencing. This is not as simple as a plain immune deficiency and the time of the day definitely plays a role in the amount of pain experienced and probably in lockstep the correlated immune response / immunity - if that makes any sense ;)