International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day Is On May 12, 2018
Thomas Hennessy, Jr., selected May 12th to be our international awareness day back in 1992. He knew that May 12th had also been the birthday of Florence Nightingale. She was the English army nurse who helped to found the Red Cross as well as the first school of nursing in the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Blood Test Used to Identify Autism Shows High Statistical Success in Second Study

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Wally, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Wally

Wally Senior Member

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/06/180619122434.htm

2. Wally

Wally Senior Member

I wonder how the 24 metabolites identified in the Autism patients in these studies correlate to metabolites found to have satatistical significance in a sampling of ME/CFS patients? It would also be interesting to know what “criteria” was used for the ME/CFS patients who had blood tests taken to identify their metobolite profile.

3. Wally

Wally Senior Member

Linked below is a 2017 study of ME/CFS patients blood samples to look at their metabolite profile. The researchers state that they believe the criteria used in this study would fall within the criteria for “SEID” as discussed in the 2015 IOM Report re ME/CFS (Note this IOM report does not appear to have ever been formally adopted by the U.S. Givernment - Dept. of HHS).

I have not gone through the study to see the details it may provide about the metabolites identified in these ME/CFS patients. Perhaps others may be interested looking at this paper in more detail and cross referencing it with the Autism studies noted above. I would be very interested to see the comparison of the metabolites identified in these studies/illnesses.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5365380/#!po=1.72414

adambeyoncelowe and ScottTriGuy like this.
  4. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    As the first paper said, they lookrd at the one carbon metabolism and transsulfuration pathway, looking at these biochemicals:

Methionine
    SAM
    SAH
    SAM/SAH
    Adenosine
    Homocysteine
    Cysteine
    Glu-Cys
    Cys-Gly
    tGSH
    fGSH
    GSSG
    fGSH/GSSG
    tGSH/GSSG
    Chlorotyrosine
    Nitrotyrosine
    Tyrosine
    Tryptophane
    fCystine
    fCysteine
    fCystine/fCysteine

The second paper identified issues with fatty acid and lipid metabolism, so not much of an overlap.

However, other ME/CFS researchers have found nitrosative and oxidative stress in M3/CFS, so homocysteine, GSH/GSSG, nitrotyrosine, SAMe, and methionine are likely related in some way.

5. Wally

Wally Senior Member

I imagine that Ron Davis, Naviaux and group have probably already studied any data that is available on the metabolite profiles of these two illneses (and perhaps other illnesses like MS). Just trying to find out if anyone knows where comparisons like those may have already been published in another study, article or even discussed in an interview or lecture.

adambeyoncelowe and sb4 like this.
  6. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    adambeyoncelowe and sb4 like this.
  7. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    I saw a study on autism saying that those with autism were better at detecting if something was in a straight line or slightly off to the left or right
    An example might be if a picture is hanging dead straight
    I wonder if pwme have this same ability
    Might be worth testing
    It suggests the brain is functioning in a different way taking longer to process but doing so more accurately

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018

See more popular forum discussions.