Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Blog/article: Dear Health Care Professional

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Rrrr, May 12, 2016.

1. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

A new blog/article to read!

https://speakupaboutme.wordpress.com/2016/05/12/dear-healthcare-professional/

"We have seen all sorts of comments by healthcare professionals about patients with ME (myalgic encephalomyelitis) and what is “really” wrong with them. These are just a few comments (and what is implied by those comments): They just don’t want to work (they want to be on disability, they stand to gain from disability), are bored (so they spend their time imagining symptoms), can’t cope with everyday stress (they need psychological help), don’t exercise (and are deconditioned), are fat (and deconditioned), don’t want to be responsible for themselves (they want to go on disability and live an easy life), want stimulants, narcotics, etc (they are drugseekers), want disabled parking tags (because disability is a perk).
    Dear Healthcare Professionals: Comments about patients with ME (myalgic encephalomyelitis) such as those made by healthcare professionals like you are painful. I hope this post helps you understand some of our pain and frustration.... [The rest of the article is found on this website:
    https://speakupaboutme.wordpress.com/2016/05/12/dear-healthcare-professional ]

2. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    Invalidated trauma deepens trauma.

When the healthcare system denies our biological symptoms, and effectively blames us, the betrayal compounds the trauma of the illness.

3. meandthecat

meandthecat Senior Member

West country UK
    Much of the discrimination is silent, the abuse is characterised by neglect and facilitated by avoidance and deception.

Has the importance of the doctor/patient relationship gone the same way as work/life balance; Did it ever exist or was it a convenient fiction embedded within a traditional role now floundering?

Words are the tip of an iceberg............

Justin30 and rosie26 like this.
  4. GreyOwl

GreyOwl Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant

That was such an incredibly powerful blog.

meandthecat likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.