• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best meds for high b.p. due to heavy metal toxicity?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I have a friend who has been having flares of high bp for several months now. He doesn't have CFS, but does have toxicity from mercury amalgams. He was managing the high b.p. with several supplements, but they have lost their effectiveness, so he's considering medication, at least until he can deal with the toxicity issue.

Any input on the better and worst options of bp lowering meds would be appreciated.

thanks

Dreambirdie

work in progress
This is from Andrew Weil's article on bp. Does anyone have experience with any of these drugs? If so, which ones are the least toxic and least likely to give you side effects?

"There are a number of different types of drugs used to treat high blood pressure. Here's a rundown and brief descriptions of how each type works:

• Diuretics: Help the kidneys to flush excess water and salt from the body.
  • Beta blockers: Help the heart beat more slowly and less forcefully, and also relax arterial walls, together resulting in less pressure within and on blood vessels.
  • ACE inhibitors: ACE stands for angiotensin-converting-enzyme.This class of drugs inhibits production of the hormone angiotension II, which normally causes blood vessels to narrow, thereby increasing the pressure inside.
  • Angiotensin II receptor blockers: Protect blood vessels from the hormone angiotensin II so that the blood vessels can relax and widen.
  • Calcium channel blockers: Prevent calcium from entering the muscle cells of the heart and blood vessels, allowing both to relax.
  • Alpha blockers: Reduce nerve impulses that tighten blood vessels allowing blood to flow more freely.
  • Alpha-beta blockers: Reduce nerve impulses and slow heartbeat.
  • Nervous system inhibitors: Increase nerve impulses from the brain to relax and widen blood vessels.
  • Vasodilators: Relax muscles in blood vessel walls."
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00686/high-blood-pressure-treatment

Sparrowhawk

I did beta blockers for a while and unfortunately feel they are part of what did in my adrenals. Has this person tried just upping their magnesium intake? Topical or oral might help immensely with this.

john66

I take Benicar which is an ARB, I found it much more tolerable than any of the ace inhibitors which made me cough constantly. I bought into the Marshall protocol for a while. Benicar does help in some way with inflammation.

xrunner

My dad has tried a few of those. The ones with the least side effects for him were the angiontensin receptor blockers, currently Olmesartan.