August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Basal Metabolic Gridlock: A pH Paradox

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by alethea, Aug 11, 2018.

1. alethea

alethea

The opening post in this thread has been taken down for the author to edit and remove the medical advice.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2018 at 2:01 PM
  2. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    (My bolding) I think this is a reminder to respect our lab tests and our doctors, when making a treatment plan. Theories that we read here and other places on the internet are just that--theories.
    That could be a very dangerous premise that would need to be verified by a doctor.

Mel9, Gingergrrl, Mary and 3 others like this.
  3. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria
    Four time tested blood pH showed highly alkaline (7.48; 7.35 - 7.45 normal range).

4. alethea

alethea

@pamojja That is my point. It looks like alkalosis, but it isn't. It looks like alkalosis when seen through the individual lens.

There are two nervous systems. The brain, which reads the collective self through the individual lens; and the gut, which reads the individual self through the collective lens. The two nervous systems are reading the same stats and coming to polar opposite conclusions; that is the cause of the gridlock.

5. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria
    To arbitrarily interpret something well defined and tested as it's opposite is a very dangerous way to be. For example, if the speedometer shows I'm too fast via the brain, I reduce the speed and be probably save. The gut arbitrarily saying still too slow, and even increasing speed and I could be death.

Of course, I'm all for integrating intuition. But not for splitting and psychosis.

6. alethea

alethea

@Sushi This is 100% theoretical. I am in no way trying to pass this off as science that has been ratified by randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trials. Perhaps I should have stated that at the outset. Of course, if I had, I would also have noted that randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trials are funded by drug companies, so with the way we've structured modern medicine, we've not only painted ourselves into a corner, we've painted over our own eyeballs. The answers will not come from within the system because the system is blind to the answers, which have been hiding in plain sight all along.

But I'll go ahead and say it, if it makes you happy. :) This is not intended as medical advice. In this, as in all things, make your own decisions.

Personally, I am highly cerebral and not inclined to the "woo woo" approach. I started out with mainstream medical doctors and their tests and their treatments, but they failed me (spectacularly), so I decided to move on. It can be scary to forge your own path, and figure things out for yourself, but it can also be liberating. In fact, I think my shift from locating authority outside of the self to locating it inside the self was a big part of my recovery.

7. alethea

alethea

@pamojja To put it another way: You're spinning so fast that it looks like you're spinning too slowly. It's akin to changing gears.

I don't see how my saying there's a good chance you need iron could ever be verified by a doctor. They are assessing you with tests whose parameters do not correspond with your time signature.

8. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria
    Says who? Right from the beginning of my diagnosis 10 years ago placed my bets on accumulating knowledge, observations, experimentations and intuition as a grand orchestra all together. Not on doctors, or anyone trying to create duality out of confusion there isn't really.

My journey in healing - had a remission in my main condition of PAD and a 60% walking-disability 4 years ago - tells me, at times I needed iron, at times not, at times in certain forms.

While you probe into something totally unrealistic, a one size fits all.

Gingergrrl and Sandman00747 like this.
  9. alethea

alethea

I wouldn't say "one size fits all," but I am trying to understand the core etiology of this illness. It does have one.

10. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Alethea, your posts are absolute gibberish.

Mel9, Judee, rel8ted and 2 others like this.
  11. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I would suggest, Alethea, if you want to put ME/CFS into some sort of spiritual or philosophical context, which many people do in order to help cope with this illness, then consider using purely spiritual concepts, rather than this mishmash of random scientific concepts that you have woven together into a bizarre story.

If you talk in purely spiritual terms, nobody is going mind; but once you start presenting your ideas as a scientific theory of ME/CFS, you will have to expect that people are going to tell that it's gibberish, which believe me scientifically it is.

rel8ted and Sandman00747 like this.
  12. alethea

alethea

Thank you, @Hip . All the best ideas sound like gibberish at the outset.

13. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    ALL the best ideas? That is a lie in itself. Maybe very few.

Scientific ideas have at least some basis in science.

Sandman00747 and Gingergrrl like this.
  14. JES

JES Senior Member

Replace iron with "substance/vitamin/mineral X" and you'll find your statement is equally valid. So why iron and not vitamin D or protomanganoferroanthophyllite?

alethea and Gingergrrl like this.
  15. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    It's not a matter of making moderators happy or not - forum rules prohibit giving medical advice. Many believe people with ME/CFS just need to change their way of thinking and they'll be healed, and often these same proponents want to tell everyone that they need to do what they say, and that if they don't get well, it's their own fault. This isn't allowed. Members are welcome to post what worked for them, but cross a line into giving medical advice when they say this is what someone with ME/CFS needs to do in order to get well.

People are welcome to post their ideas and theories - but need to be very clear that that's all they are - their own theories and ideas. None of us can tell anyone else what they need to do. Wording is very important. Sometimes just putting "I believe" in front of a statement makes it very clear that that's all it is, your belief e.g., add "I believe that" to this statement "You need to be re-calibrated to a lower blood pressure / lower heart rate / lower orthostatic pressure world." Otherwise it's giving medical advice, telling someone what they need to do.

16. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Sorry to have to spoil your, er, "work of art", but remember this is forum about a medical condition called myalgic encephalomyelitis, rather than a sci-fi writer's forum where you can envision an imaginary world in which diseases are caused by time-warps, black holes, or whatever.

I am sure your ideas would be much appreciated on a sci-fi forum, but here they are just, well, embarrassing.

Imagine an artist who has gone to a junk yard and collected lots of metal pieces from old cars, then welded the bits together to make some intriguing art installation. The artwork may be beautify or inspiring to look at, but randomly welding bits of metal together does not make a working car that actually drives. To do that, you have to be a mechanic. Likewise, you cannot randomly throw together concepts from science and expect to make a working scientific theory.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 2:06 PM
  17. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria
    Both mechanism you propose would actually mean the opposites, are both based on sound scientific observations. Which are completely absent in your arbitrary proposals.

18. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    From your edit at the top of your first post, I gather you actually don't mean "you," your" etc. (the paragraph I quoted is just one example) but when you use such words it comes across as being personal commentary. If you could edit this language, your post would come across better. Thanks.

19. Murph

Murph :)

This treatment plan would be even better if it considered the benefit of reducing lysergic acid concentrations.

20. alethea

alethea

@Murph How might that be accomplished and what hazard do they pose?

See more popular forum discussions.