• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Banana skin is high in potassium, manganese, dopamine

gumman123

Banana skin has 78mg/g potassium, and 76mg / 100g manganese plus other minerals. The author appears to have made a mistake with g / 100g but potassium looks to be per g so it is 7800 mg per 100g, and the rest are per 100g. Wow. Manganese is hard to get in high amounts but not anymore. Another study shows it has around 2g/100g dopamine too, and also nor adrenaline.

Edit: there is a study showing papaya peel has around 76mg potassium / 100g so I will assume they made a mistake with potassium in this study, and it is 78mg/100g.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...al_Composition_of_Musa_sepientum_Banana_Peels

Last edited:

Carl

However something to consider is that many fruits, oranges certainly are, prepared with fungicides which does get into the skin which means you will be consuming large amounts of toxins which will add to your detox load. The skin contains a large amount of very useful nutrients containing higher amounts of flavonoids and other beneficial substances. Keeping food fresh is the large food sellers requirements so unless you grow your own I would not eat the skin on most fruits. Apples have far more nutrients in the skin than the core but I am very careful with those. Apple skins often have waxes sprayed on them to make them shine and are often sprayed with fungicides to control common apple diseases.

gumman123

Just wash it off. or buy organic if concerned about round up.

The skin contains a large amount of very useful nutrients containing higher amounts of flavonoids and other beneficial substances

yep sure does. nature intended banana skin to be eaten not thrown away. if banana peel or skin [title] is searched on pubmed there are a lot of other interesting studies on them too

eating the skin is healthy. big pharma wants to keep everyone sick so they would discourage it. heck they discourage breathing air and drinking water too. and better not sleep or you could die!

i eat whole apples too most people do. again can just wash them off or buy organic to avoid the round up.

gumman123

Attachments

• werwerwerwer.PNG
    werwerwerwer.PNG
    82.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Wonkmonk

Impressive, although it is unclear what the bioavailability of these minerals is given the skin probably also has a lot of fiber etc.

But even if it's low, you still get a considerable amount and what is not absorbed goes to the microbiome which might also be positive.

Just need a way how to eat them. Eating banana skin is next to impossible. So bitter and unpalatable. Maybe small amounts in a smoothie?

gumman123

I ate 4.5 whole ones today no problem. When they are eaten altogether with the pulp it tastes good, and the texture is nice. I ate half of the skin of one alone, and it was not as good so I recommend eating them whole. Or could be dried in the oven, boiled, or if a blender is good enough blended into a drink. I will try all these ways in the future, then report back on them. So many mineral deficiencies can be cured so easy with a cheap, easily accessible food.

pamojja

One way I heard is drying the banana skin, and use it for brewing tea.

So many mineral deficiencies can be cured so easy with a cheap, easily accessible food.

I have doubts. For me a magnesium deficiency started 10 years ago despite getting 630 mg magnesium from food (almost double the RDA!). Titrating up to even 2.5 g/d of oral supplemental elemental magnesium alleviated extreme pain-full muscle cramps only somewhat. Only Mg-sulfate IVs since November last year ceased these cramps completely.

gumman123

It wasn't that high in magnesium but for iron/zinc/copper/manganese it can cure them quickly.

I am thinking about sending a peel to a lab to get it analyzed for those 4 minerals to see if it really does have the levels the textbook says as another study showed it had a lot less. Hopefully it doesn't cost much. Will post the results here if I do it.

pamojja

It wasn't that high in magnesium but for iron/zinc/copper/manganese it can cure them quickly.

I was just generally speaking that even with high intake might not cure serious deficiencies, by simply increasing dietary intake. Certainly in some cases it will. But with severe deficiency other factors might be at play, like other underlying conditions, a gut which for some reasons doesn't absorb, kidneys which for some other reason want nothing than to get rid of exactly that mineral deficient in. Or high levels of other mineral which antagonize exactly that one deficient. As in my example, were only IVs helped.

I am thinking about sending a peel to a lab to get it analyzed for those 4 minerals to see if it really does have the levels the textbook says as another study showed it had a lot less. Hopefully it doesn't cost much.

These are very expensive and don't tell if with your particular bio-chemical individuality mineral status would improve. Serum, for some minerals whole blood, and additional yearly hair-tissue-mineral-analysis would still be cheaper (because of the higher volume such tests are routinely done), and also give insight in possible mineral/metal toxicity.

and 76mg / 100g manganese

The UL fro example of manganese is already at 11 mg/d. And personally already do get 10 mg/d from diet without consuming banana skin. So I actually try to limit Manganese, and adjust according to lab-tests.

Wolfcub

Sounds interesting....if only banana skins didn't taste so yuck. But way back many years ago in my early silliness, I was told that taking scrapings from the inside of banana peels, drying it, and smoking it -made you get slightly "high".
Of course I tried it. And giggled for an hour afterwards at stupid jokes. But it had no effect on the rest of my friends who also tried it. Proably the banana-cebo effect in my silly case!

But dopamine in food doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier. It's foods containing precursors (L-Tyrosine and something else I've forgotten the word for!) which can help raise dopamine manufactured "on-site"
All these foods contain that:

all animal products (meat, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy)
apples
avocados
bananas
beans (legumes)
beets
chocolate
coffee
green leafy vegetables
green tea
nuts
oats
olive oil
oregano
peanuts
rosemary
sea vegetables
sesame and pumpkin seeds
soy products
turmeric
watermelon
wheat

gumman123

@junkcrap 50

http://sci-hub.tw/https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf9909860

Dopamine levels ranged from 80-560 mg per 100 g in peel and 2.5-10 mg in pulp, even in ripened bananas ready to eat. Banana is thus one of the antioxidative foods

it was up to 1900mg per 100g though in unripe bananas in the table on page 4.

Fava beans are 2.5% dopamine so 100g has 2.5g dopamine. I am yet to eat these yet but I will soon.
Pistachio nuts have serotonin, and melatonin.

Some butchers sell lamb brains which will be loaded with neuro transmitters etc. I have some in the fridge now, I eat them raw. Ring around butchers to find one that sells it.

@pamojja

RBC minerals is better than serum. HTMA is not designed to pick up deficiencies. Well that is what someone selling it told me. I have done multiple but if it is not intended to find deficiencies then it is pointless.

Minerals in food are strongly bonded to proteins so can be absorbed through amino acid transporters bypassing mineral transporters which is why food minerals are better than supplement minerals. Amino acid chelates are the closest thing to food probably still not as good as food though.

If nature put that amount of manganese in banana skin then it means it is safe to eat. The upper limit of minerals is hogwash intended to make sure everyone stays sick, and doesn't try treat their disease with foods high in vitamins/minerals. Ancient peoples did not care about so called upper limits they just ate anything that was edible, and were healthy.

@wolfclub lol at smoking it. Dopamine can cross the BBB their is transporters for it same with other neurotransmitters. All water soluble nutrients have transporters so they can get into cells/the brain.

gumman123

Mango peel is loaded with minerals

https://www.researchgate.net/public...its_Nutritional_and_Functional_Properties#pfb

High levels of minerals important for human nutrition have been found in the peel of the Haden mango, including calcium (4.445 mg/kg), potassium (2910 mg/kg), manganese (950 mg/kg), iron (175 mg/kg), and zinc (32.5 mg/kg).

And in the table it shows some varieties of it have huge amounts of vitamin C

Papaya seed/peel is loaded with minerals. Up to 2g potassium / 100g

http://www.scielo.br/pdf/cta/v34n2/20.pdf

Watermelon rind had 5mg pyridoxine per 100g too which is higher than the foods on nutritiondata website

Shoshana

Northern USA
way back many years ago in my early silliness, I was told that taking scrapings from the inside of banana peels, drying it, and smoking it -made you get slightly "high".
Of course I tried it. And giggled for an hour afterwards at stupid jokes. But it had no effect on the rest of my friends who also tried it. Proably the banana-cebo effect in my silly case!

SO funny, @Wolfcub :D Who would object to a banana-cebo effect?! :lol::rofl:

Interesting thread, the entire topic. On the value of peels. ;)

SInce my comment isn't going to be any stranger than Wolfcub's, :)
I will add that some of this info, above in this thread,
explains why composting or even just burying, the peels near plants,
(IF one is NOT going to ingest the peels, oneself )

helps to replenish soil , and is good food for growing healthy outdoor plants. :thumbsup:

Wolfcub

SInce my comment isn't going to be any stranger than Wolfcub's, :)
I will add that some of this info, above in this thread,
explains why composting or even just burying, the peels near plants,
(IF one is NOT going to ingest the peels, oneself )

helps to replenish soil , and is good food for growing healthy outdoor plants. :thumbsup:

So it is! I have also heard of that. Some amazing nutrients....at least for plants....maybe for us???