• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Balancing neurotransmitters?

I'd stay away from Namenda

Do you have a reason why or just a general aversion to prescription medication? I have just begun Namenda/Memantine based upon a hunch. It slows progression of Alzheimer's by down regulating one of the mechanism I think might be involved in all of this. I welcome any input.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Do you have a reason why or just a general aversion to prescription medication? I have just begun Namenda/Memantine based upon a hunch. It slows progression of Alzheimer's by down regulating one of the mechanism I think might be involved in all of this. I welcome any input.

Because of its effects - see https://www.google.com/search?ei=eG...9k1j0i131k1j0i20i264k1j0i46k1.132.Di9MnvS7oWw

So if you're trying to block glutamate receptors in the brain (which is the supposed action of Namenda in regards to Alzheimer's), there are other supplements which can do that without the negative effects of Namenda.

I tapered off of Lorazepam which I had been taking for 10 or 11 years at night for sleep. I can't believe in retrospect how ignorant I was re this drug. Anyways, I had a huge problem with glutamate and severe insomnia during the taper period and I found these things to be helpful with dealing with excess glutamate: resveratrol, pyruvate (as calcium pyruvate, I think there are other forms of pyruvate), high dose vitamin C - though this can get tricky - citric acid which is in many vitamin C products has been linked to msg because of how its produced. I also took a lot of things to increase GABA.

I'm not an expert by any means on glutamate and GABA but I'm presuming you would want to increase GABA as well and there are several products which can help with that, including magnolia bark (which I take), gotu kola and l-theanine. Also, niacin (the kind that makes you flush) and niacinamide stimulate or sensitize GABA receptors.

In general I do try to avoid prescription drugs as much as possible. They always have negative 'side" (actual) effects. Yes, herbs and other supplements can have negative effects also but I've never seen them nearly as bad as drugs.

GreenMachineX

Just wondering what people do to alter neurotransmitter levels? Supplements or prescription medications?

I have high cortisol, high quinnolic acid, possibly low serotonin and dopamine, and I think elevated norepinephrine.

I'm considering Namenda for blocking NMDA receptors, but not sure what to do with everything else. I haven't had good experiences with 5-htp or tyrosine, anything that increases cortisol makes me more hyper/wired.
Did you ever find a solution? It sounds like we have similar issues...