• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bacteria 'bricklayer' protein set for attack

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27907461

Scientists have found a new route to attack antibiotic-resistant bacteria by blocking the mechanism they use to build their exterior coating.

The bugs construct this defensive barrier in a complex process that depends on a key dual-protein molecule.

Its structure has been mapped using the intense X-rays of the Diamond Light Source in Oxfordshire.

Researchers tell the journal Nature that drugs can now be developed to interfere with this LptDE protein....

The protein complex LptDE is the "bricklayer" that pulls up the lipopolysaccharide "bricks" from inside the bacterium to insert them in the cell wall.

alex3619

This may give us the edge for a few more decades. It wont last though, at least I don't think it can. Picking highly conserved targets is good though ... these are things that cannot change without becoming less optimal.

xchocoholic

Hi @alex3619

Glad you saw this.

I thought you may have some thoughts on the
LptDE protein. They're calling it the bricklayer that pulls up the lipopolysaccharide blocks from inside the bacterium to insert
Them in the cell wall. That was said about 1/2 way down. Sorry I can't provide the quote.

I don't understand this but is the cell wall the same as a biofilm ?

I can't add to these discussions but I enjoy reading them.

Tx .. x

Last edited:

Waverunner

"Researchers tell the journal Nature that drugs can now be developed to interfere with this LptDE protein...."

As maryb has pointed out, that is the problem. It will take 12-15 years till such a drug could get approved but 99% of findings don't get transformed into anything at all. Please notice when scientists end their studies with "could, should, may lead, be used, lay ground to new treatment.". This is desperation and wishful thinking. Scientists somehow hope, that somebody picks up their ideas, spends 800 million to 5 billion dollars and has 12-15 years in order to get a drug approved. This is not the case. What pharma companies prefer to do is use old drugs or mechanisms, improve them, file new patents and sell the new drugs for triple the price. True innovations rare to non-existent.