• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Autoimmune gastritis

Alexi

wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge of this ?
What did you do to treat it ?

andyguitar

It's going to depend what you mean. How do you know you have this? Putting up some more info will help us to help. Are you talking about an allergy causing your immune system to react?

Alexi

Had gastroscopy and ph manometry testing by gastroenterologist for stomach issues which showed no acid reflux but a degree of hypercontractality (hence dysphagia problems). However, having severe abdo pain which GP considers gastritis or diverticulosis and has prescribed antibiotic and PPI. Since I don’t have an acid problem but I DO have hyperimmunoglobulaemia, I wondered if it was possible my rubbish immune system is attacking the stomach lining and causing this severe pain and nausea. And is this the right treatment ?
I’m seeing GP again tomorrow and would like to have some understand of what I’m about to throw at him !

Moof

Does anyone else in your family have autoimmune atrophic gastritis? I was tested for this because gastritis runs in my family, and the consultant told me it's often an inherited condition. (I suppose cases must happen sporadically as well, but my doctor seemed to stress the inheritance pattern.) If you're not sure, maybe just raise the possibility with your GP? You could also ask whether the tests they've done are sufficient to confirm or rule it out if, it were autoimmune?

(Turned out that mine was just chronic h. pylori infection, which the doctor thought they'd managed to rid me of a year or so previously. A second, longer course of particularly nasty antibiotics did the trick, and I have very few problems now. It was a very painful and unpleasant few years, though, before it was finally sorted.)

Alexi

Family Autoimmune problems generally, but not specifically gastric.
Are there any specific tests for it ?
This has been going on for about 18 months and I’m beginning to doubt my own sanity Last A&E visit was the final straw...I was in agony

Moof

Hopefully they will have taken a couple of small samples of your stomach lining when you had your endoscopy, and that would rule out/confirm h.pylori. It's the most common reason for chronic gastritis; but if it's definitely not that, ask to be screened for autoantibodies to parietal cells. (I think that one's just a blood test.)

It's important to get on top of it, because whatever the cause of the gastritis, you may find yourself with B12 and folate deficiency down the line, due to your damaged stomach's impaired ability to absorb and process these vitamins. That's what happened to me – seven years after they cleared the h. pylori, I was getting severe neurological symptoms and memory loss to the point where my GP was considering assessing me for dementia at age 57.

No-one at the hospital had mentioned this outcome as a possibility, and my GP (who's usually pretty good) seems completely uninformed about the risk of developing these deficiencies. I came upon the symptoms by accident, and was startled to see how closely they fitted mine. I'd been supplementing with oral B12 and folate for decades for ME, but I'd presumably lost the ability to absorb them through my stomach, so I was just peeing it out again. I started hydroxocobalamin injections and saw a dramatic improvement within two weeks; three months on, I'm now on twice weekly injections rather than alternate days, and I'm continuing to see slow improvements to the neurological symptoms.

Hope you make some progress, anyway.

Runner5

I have a bad stomach and GI and have been in to the doc three times in a row for gastritis in the last year and a half pretty desperate but with no luck. I get sharp stabbing pains through my stomach region, middle of my back and a different kind of stabby pain in my abdomen which also has a nodule growing which has made walking or gentle exercise really tough. But I've had a hell of a time getting doctors to take me seriously, "these things happen with age" they tell me.

I'm taking PPI morning, zantac 150mg before bed, and doing intermittent fasting so it has 'time off' of digesting, I absolutely have to take digestion enzymes now and yeah - I'm a little freaked. Very freaked, the pain just keeps getting worse no matter what I do. The sharp pains are like I swallowed glass, they don't last long but sure does wake me up, they're intense.

So tomorrow I have to make a new doctors appointment. Again. Money I just don't have but the growth in my lower abs is freaking me out, I usually have diverticulitis type symptoms but it isn't clearing this time. It hurts to move. It wakes me up at night.

I've tried a lot of diet modifications to get better and I definitely get worse through the holidays and I'm really allergic to Oats it turns out. Also a lot of "healthy diet foods" I'm very allergic to which makes "eating healthy" very difficult. I've done every diet under the sun, but some are so insane like 'eat nothing but broth' it's hard to stick to (and when you can't stick to extreme diets then people blame you for your illness - it's awesome *sigh*). But maybe there is a food puzzle that I haven't discovered yet. I'm trying to avoid grain and dairy this year but I also have to avoid items I'm very allergic to as well so it's a tall order.

I always get the feeling something is snacking on my stomach and GI lining. I am always taking L-Glutamine and it sort of heals up and then it's gone again. Honestly think it's a pathogen or parasite. The GI lining renews every four days anyway, but I can't ever get ahead or caught up. I do feel a little better on antibiotics but as soon as I'm finished with them the symptoms come right back.

Tested neg for h.pylori and celiac.

Oh -- and right now my entire body has broken out in a barely noticeable rash but it itches like mad. But with the holidays being over maybe I'll get better.

When my stomach and GI get better so does my fatigue. It's connected for me at least. If you find the magic answer -- please for the love of God message me with it.

Best of luck to you!

-- Taking Prilosec morning, Zantac 150, L-Glutmamine, Intestinew, Aloe Vera Gel Caps, Ginger, Digestive Enzymes, (dietary I.F.) Zinc-Carnosine (hasn't done anything I can tell) Been taking probiotics since 1995 -- still haven't worked but I keep dumping money on them.

Moof

I agree with MCAS, which I have too. I also had a food puzzle, which turned out to be potatoes! I had disabling GI symptoms for four years, and although I knew allergies to nightshade foods do occur (mine definitely wasn't an IGe-mediated allergy), I didn't realise intolerances were so common.

Rather than broad diets as such, it might be worth cutting out all your supplements (with the possible exception of the digestive enzymes), and then doing single-ingredient exclusions. It's extremely time-consuming, as you have to exclude each one for at least a couple of weeks, but it's sometimes the only way. I hope you find some answers.

Alexi

Thank you so much for giving me some hope as to what is causing this and how to follow up c

Learner1

@Runner5 My MCAS had been so well controlled for a few years I didn't realize I had it til my ME/CFS doc suggested I had it.

The reasons? I'd figured out what foods that set it off and avoided them, and the naturopathic doctor I'd been working with over that time had be on significant doses of vitamins B5, B12, C, folate, and curcumin which each hsve a role in calming symptoms down.

I started IVIG 5 months ago and had severe intestinal pain. which turned out to be MCAS, with prostaglandin D2 and chromagranin A being high on lab tests.

We added Benadryl, fexofenadine, Ketotifen, ondansetron, and boswellia, and raised my B5 dose which managed the symptoms during and after IViG. The next step would be an H2 antihistamine, which it looks like you're on.

As for going off supplements to see if it helps, I can tell you I've had Farr more problems with prescription drugs, most of which contain corn or milk derivatives, which I react to, causing me to need them compounded if they can be made at all, or in the case if Benadryl, I can only use the injectible form.

I take a lot of Thorne Research supplements which are hypoallergenic and carefully read labels on everything else and dig into how they were derived - most vitamin C is corn-derived ascorbic acid, so I find fruit based vitamin C, and I broke out in hives from B12 shots grown in a corn medium, but was able to find a different B12 not grown in a corn medium.

Best of luck in sorting this out!

LaurelW

I had an endoscopy yesterday, and I found out that there is such a thing as post-viral gastritis. I got really sick with a stomach bug two months ago, and when I got better, the nausea never went away. All that showed up on the scope was some gastritis and esophagitis, but I'm waiting on the biopsy results to see if they can capture any bugs. In the meantime, I've been on omeprazole and antacids, which help somewhat but don't completely get rid of the nausea. Although, I was warned not to take them together, because the antacids can interfere with absorbing the proton pump inhibitors.

kangaSue

Same as for Pernicious Anemia, get blood tests for parietal cell and intrinsic factor antibodies, homocysteine too as level can be elevated. Iron and or vitamin B12 will be low.

Gastritis tends to quite marked rather than mild with Autoimmune Gastritis I think, plenty of other causes of gut pain though that can have mild gastritis.

Where do you get the pain, epigastric, RUQ etc. Always there, only caused by or worse after eating, relieved by eating?

Runner5

@LaurelW -- nausea is the worst, sometimes I have that as a symptom but at least not all the time. I hope you find some relief. I just ordered some peppermint and ginger logenzes, supposedly they help but haven't tried it yet.

I discovered my extremely itchy rash is a reaction to Omneprazole / Prilosec (PPI) -- so not sure what I'm going to do without the medication.

I'm looking up weird folk remedies tonight, why not. *sigh*

I've never heard of MCAS, will have to google that.

Alexi

Given antibiotic and Lansoprazole
Feel like I’ve been given a sticking plaster for a haemorrhage!
I can’t get any relief. It’s miserable.

Runner5

@Alexi -- I hope you feel better soon. Did they find h.pylori or anything specific or they're just giving you "ye' old standard treatment for stomach sh1t" ? I hope the antibiotics will probably help you out. *fingers crossed!*

I woke up last night in so much pain I thought -- okay this is it, this is when I go to the ER and it all hits the fan.

So I'm going on a semi-liquid diet until I get to feeling better, my fall back position! haha, mostly easy easy stuff for my stomach to deal with. With these kind of illnesses -- EVERYONE and their dog has an opinion on what you should and shouldn't eat. They magically turn into nutritional professionals and regurgitate headlines read off the Internet. Just try to feel your body out and do what's right for you, no judgement.

I'm still itching from the PPI rash -- ugh.

Feel better @Alexi and @LaurelW ((hugs))