• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: Suicide and Depression: Q & A From SAVE (Suicide Awareness: Voices of Education)

There is no discussion of issues around loss of enjoyment in life due to long term physical illness, nor due to severe chronic pain. The presumption in most of the article is that suicide is from depression. While I think that it commonly correct, it is certainly not universally correct.b To be fair, they do indirectly state that mental illness has no part in 10% of suicides. I would like to see more written about those 10%. Bye, Alex

Why all the threads about suicide? I realize it is a problem with ME, as it would be with any painful, neurological disease. I think I've seen several threads started recently though.

Reminds me of the news that Amy Winehouse was recently found dead most likely by overdose, which could be intentional or just "slow suicide" per lifestyle choices. Addiction is a cruel beast also.

Why all the threads about suicide? I realize it is a problem with ME, as it would be with any painful, neurological disease. I think I've seen several threads started recently though.

Threads in this section of the forums are generated automatically when there is a new post on the front page. In this case a new area called "crisis center" was recently put up and populated with several articles so that those seeking out help have something to go to.

Feedback is welcome. :Retro smile:

There is no discussion of issues around loss of enjoyment in life due to long term physical illness, nor due to severe chronic pain. The presumption in most of the article is that suicide is from depression. While I think that it commonly correct, it is certainly not universally correct.b To be fair, they do indirectly state that mental illness has no part in 10% of suicides. I would like to see more written about those 10%. Bye, Alex

Many studies have shown that loss of enjoyment, pain, etc. for chronic illnesses are a high risk factor for depression and depression in turn is a high risk factor for suicide. Except for the CAA piece I was unable to find any articles that are specific to suicide, crisis prevention and CFS. This is a more or less generic piece on a significant factor in suicide - which is what the Crisis Center, in its humble fashion, is focused on preventing. I encourage anyone who has more or better resources to contribute them to the site.

I totally agree with floydguy. This article was written by a big pharma.
You do no have to be insane to contemplate or actually execute a suicide. How do they know what the person committing suicide was thinking in hi head? He is not there anymore to ask!
I can see rational reasons for coming to a conclusion that you want out. When your life is unbearable and you feel that either you have no family who will suffer or the family is suffering with you - in this case, I think a person can come to a calculated reason that they want out and that initially it would be a shock to the family but eventually it will be a relief for them.