• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: Is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) an Auto-immune Disorder?

Well after being diagnosed with ME/CFS several years ago and having abnormalities in my blood for most of that time . I think ive only ever had one set of 'normal bloods ' and those were the set i was diagnosed with I now have autoimmune problems .

The abnormal results I kept having prior to this were varied and included , high lymphocytes , low lymphocytes , A typical lymphocytes , low folate , low red blood cell count , low haematocrit, high red blood cell distribution , low eosinophil ,high ESR, plus many other abnormalities I cant remember . The problem I had were they would not be consistent . There would be a few problems each time on my bloods but next time they were tested they could be entirely different problems .

I also cannot do the rhombergs test even with my eyes open my balance is so poor . infact ive many nuerological signs that are also just being ignored .

Ive had loads of bladder problems and blood in my urine on several occasions which indicates to me kidney involvement . Fair enough I get antibiotics but thats not the point it should be investigated thoroughly .

Ive also had many skin rashes infact ive been hospitalised beacuse of them , they blamed it on a virus but didnt know which one bit of a cop out really .

This past 12 months though I have developed autoimmune problems . I was found to be hypothyroid with antibodies so its hashimotos I have also now tested positive on the ANA test twice .

After a bit of a fight I was finally given levothyroxine not that it is making any difference even though im now supposedly back in range and well the ANA test has just been ignored .

Thats the UK for you , doesnt matter how many abnormal results I get once diagnosed with ME/CFS its very hard to turn it round and get an alternative diagnosis.

I have always said I have all the signs and symptoms of lupus and also most of the signs and symptoms of MS . Infact a mix of the two if you like .

Since I got ill I have been saying that there was a problem with my immune system , the rheumatologists I saw were very patronising beacause I didnt quite tick all their boxes and when they couldnt figure out what was wrong with me just discharged me . I was still ill nothing had changed yet they still discharged me . Hence I ended up being refferred to the me/cfs clinic who wernt going to accept me as I kept getting abnormal blood results that nobody could explain . One set of normal bloods though and hey presto diagnosed .I so wish I had known what a diagnosis of ME/CFS actually meant in the UK .

I was naieve , knew nothing about it and stupidly thought oh im finally getting somewhere . Im going to get treatment , get well again , go back to my old life , jobs a good un . Err how wrong can you be . I did the CBT and was actually told they didnt think id really tried with it , in other words it was my own fault I was still sick . Needless to say we parted company as tbh it was like trying to get through to a brick wall , they just ignored abnormalities I pointed out .

Is anybody taking notice now that I have antibodies err no im diagnosed with ME/CFS so thats my label . My GP is trying his best to get someone to listen and help me but its not forthcoming . Nobody wants to know if youve got ME/CFS on your notes . I also have another problem in the fact that nobody and I mean nobody in my family has ever had autoimmune problems , if they had it would have made it so much easier to fight for a different diagnosis .

As it stands im wandering around in no mans land . I do have ME/CFS I meet Canadian criteria but i know with that diagnosis I am never going to get anywhere here in the UK . I thought perhaps I would now have folk trying to help me left right and centre I was wrong . Seems once you have a diagnosis of ME/CFS you can clock up as many abnormalities as you like it makes no difference , theyve already stopped looking !