• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Armpit infection (acne inversa)

jimmy86

Hello,

I recently developed an infection of my armpits, with clusters of painful abscesses. Apparently, this is a condition called Hidradenitis suppurativa or Acne inverse.

Here is the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidradenitis_suppurativa
According to this, I directly entered the Hurley II stage :(.

Does anyone else get this on a regular basis or every now and again? It seems to be linked to a weak immune system and inflammation.

Does anyone have an idea of possible remedy?

TenuousGrip

I've had it several (4-5 ?) times in my life, but not in quite a few years.

Each time I had it, the thingy's were I&D'd (incised and drained) and I was put on a course of oral antibiotics.

I'm sorry. I hope you get it taken care of soon and that it never comes back.

pattismith

Hello Jimmy,

I read that Zinc supplementation can be effective:

http://www.skintherapyletter.com/download/stl_20_4.pdf

I had recurrent spots ont buttocks from time to time, and I discover that when i stopped any shampoo and any soap, it just disappear!

Now I only wash my body and hairs with soap-free cleansers.

I fixed my face and scalp acne problem by applying Mustard powder diluted in water (pause for 1 mn), and Crotamiton cream for the worst inflammated part (every day, once or twice).
Mustard and Crotamiton are both actives against Demodex, a mite that lives in our follicules, so this might explain why it works.

my acne hasn't all disappear, but the flares are totally under control.

This recipie might be usefull for your hidradenitis

NelliePledge

hi J maybe worth looking into herbal supplements with antibacterial properties. Ive not got the same issues as you so cant comment specifically. I take Olive Leaf for its anti viral properties as I tend to get everything going. I understand it has antibacterial properties as well so worth a bit of research.

jimmy86

Thanks everyone.

Olive leaf and zinc are great suggestions, I will try them.

Overall, this condition does not seem to be very common for people with CFS/ME....