• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are Our Bodies Slowly Starving?

leela

I was reading this poignant article about WWII-era starvation research.

As I read, it occurred to me that in ME, with the gut issues/malabsorption, as well as blockages/inefficencies in cell transport, and the very severest ME patients being almost totally unable to eat or metabolize what is given, it is possible many of the symptoms that psychiatrists like to hang on their peg may in fact be the direct result of malnutrition/starvation.

Below is a link to the full article, but look at this list of recommendations for treating the starved men liberated from concentration camps:

In 1946, the researchers released a guide book for aid workers - Men and Hunger.

Its advice included:

• Show no partiality, and refrain from arguments; the starving are ready to argue on little provocation, but they usually regret it immediately
  • Informing the group what is being done, and why, is just as important as getting things done - billboards are the easiest way
  • Starvation increases the need for privacy and quiet - noise of all kinds seems to be very bothersome and especially so during mealtimes
  • Energy is a commodity to be hoarded - living and eating quarters should be arranged conveniently
  • A thoughtful worker will make use of the fact that the starving are emotionally affected by the weather -some special and cheerful activities might be saved for bad days

Reading this made my heart break for Karina and others who are being held on psych wards and subject to basically the opposite of the above advice/insight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25782294