• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

anyone seeing Dr. Lerner at the present time?

charlie1

Is he the only practicing doctor at his clinic?

If I start virus treatment there (instead of @ INIM,) I'd like to have the same doctor follow through with me for the duration of my treatment timeline. Detroit (Dr. Lerner) is the closest to me so for financial and travel (PEM ) reasons, going with him otherwise makes the most sense.

Any experiences with Dr. L that you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ema

I saw Dr L for just over a year.

He is the only doctor at his clinic.

Dr L has a very specific profile of patient that he treats...namely those with chronic viral infections as he has found great success treating these patients with a variety of antivirals.

If you fit his treatment profile, you will likely be started on one of these antiviral protocols but you will first need to be seen for a 2-3 day period at his office for a variety of extensive testing (heart ultrasound, holter monitor overnight, and bloodwork). Then you will need to return to his office every 4-5 weeks for further monitoring and bloodwork. It's very time intensive in terms of travel if you live far away.

Dr L also is quite old school in many ways. While he is caring and sympathetic to the physical causes of ME/CFS, it is very much an "ask no questions and do things my way" type of practice.

He also does not use any supplements that many of us have found quite helpful and does not entertain any questions on his medication decisions or allow for any input into those decisions in my experience.

He does acknowledge the problem of bacterial infections like Lyme and co, but does not use the best testing to detect these infections. I had two positive tests (from IgeneX and Neuroscience) that he wouldn't even look at and simply said that the inferior Labcorp testing he uses proved I no longer had Lyme and should discontinue antibiotics. This was not a wise move for me in hindsight.

I do not regret seeing Dr L and I am grateful to him for his countless years of research and work treating our population. However, it was not a good fit for me overall and I have since moved on. However, if you fit his profile and are willing to work within his constraints, I would give it a shot.

charlie1

Thanks for your candor Ema. As you know from previous conversations we've had, I'm trying to decide on the path forward regarding INIM versus Detroit.

Your comments will definitely be considered in my decision making. I don't like old-school physician approaches yet I do like the fact he's only an hour drive versus a 3 hr flight plus hotel expenses.

Daffodil

hi charlie. i havent seen dr. L in many years. i wonder how old he must be now? i cannot believe he is still practicing!

charlie1

@Daffodil , someone told me he's either 82 or 84 and that he has no colleagues or even interns working at the clinic with him. I don't want to be left high and dry if he suddenly needs to retire. Because of that and the before mentioned reason regarding his approach to questions being asked, I'll not be seeing him.
For now I'll try immune modulators and see where that gets me. Fingers crossed.