• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone see success from FODMAP/Frucmal diet? Or not? I'm starting it

CAcfs

Basically, the week I had my big crash, I remember I was at an overnight camp, and I had this big bag of carmel candies/tootsie rolls in my room. That week, I really crashed and never recovered (mono-like). The other strange thing is that my body odor started suddenly smelling very.....fermented!

I was always thinking maybe I caught a pathogen, or maybe it was just candida going nuts in response to sugar, but now I'm starting to think it was WHAT I was eating, exactly. And I have realized that what I am eating NOW, still, may be keeping me sick.

For example, I did a pretty good "clean" diet, free of most allegans, but I realize that during that time, I was putting honey in my oats every morning. That was really the only sugar I was consuming, that and occasional berries, but still.....honey's full of fructose.

Going gluten free has helped some, but after drinking my coffee, I start to feel VERY drowsy, in a weird, narcoleptic way (not an adrenal crash way). And guess what? I use coconut milk in it. I just realized that coconut milk is a no-no on the FODMAP diet.

Here is a great breakdown, with charts, for those interested: http://www.practicalgastro.com/pdf/August07/Aug07BarrettArticle.pdf

Here is an even SIMPLER breakdown: http://ibs.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/...bsgroup.org/brochures/fodmap-intolerances.pdf

I am just wondering who else has seen success doing this? Or did it not pan out for you? Who has decided to try it then stuck with it?

The biggest challenge is going to be my sublingual B supplements.....most of those contain sugar alcohols.

I am concerned about corn ingredients in some of my supplements. I guess that's okay? Or no? I see that corn syrup is bad, even the non-HFCS type, but I don't know about corn derivatives in supps. I may have to cut those out. Also, I'm not sure if I can eat corn tortillas and corn chips?

CAcfs

I have another question....if anyone can help:

-Rice milk has 10 grams of sugar, even though none is added. Is that much sugar okay in beginning? Even if it is acceptable sugar. I am guessing answer if that it's okay.

-Anyone have ideas for a safe protein bar? Like if it has 15 or 20 grams of sucrose, combined with a protein, is that okay?

Tony

Still working on it all..
According to my dietitian, rice milk is generally fine for a low fructose diet though you will want to check what's in it. The low fructose diet is generally for people who have fructose malabsorption which is quite common in ME/CFS.
The idea is to eat low fructose, so you don't need to try and eliminate all sugars or you'll end up with little left to eat...:) Good to see you found the Barrett/Gibson study.
In another study by Shepherd & Gibson "Fructose malabsorption and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome: guidelines for effective dietary management" you'll see that they suggest eating "sugar" foods like fruit with other things like meats, fish, nuts etc. Worth a quick google, it will come up quickly.

I would think that the protein bars are ok with that amount of sucrose, just eating them occasionally.

To answer your question, I've definitely had some improvement with this diet, mainly in reduced brainfog and eliminating bloating after meals. Hope you find it good for you..:)

i am interested in this diet, the list of allowed food does not include any protein, i am assuming this is cause all proteins are ok (no sugars..) i have no clue if i am fructose intolerant but i have found that chaning my diet does wonders for mu CFS, i now eat a very low gi diet, but i am always confused about dairy, sometimes it seems to work with me and othertimes i get a stange headache and a spacey feeling..

CAcfs

Thanks for the replies. Alexa, as far as I can tell, meats are okay, as long as you don't have a different sensitivity that's totally separate from these FRUCMAL/FODMAP issues. Same with eggs. From what I'm seeing, soy as protein can be a problem, because it's a bean, and beans contain FODMAPs. So it's probably okay in trace amounts, but I'm not sure if tofu would be okay. That said, I eat Clif bars right now, which contain soy as a main ingredient, along with oats.....haven't figured out if I should be, if the amount of soy is okay. I am not hardcore on the FODMAP diet at this time. It seems as though beans would be bad, which saddens me, because it's cheap protein that I enjoy.

I have found with dairy, that I am okay to a point. I can tell when I've crossed the line, because I get a pain around my ileal cecal valve. I can eat cheese in small amounts, but once I eat too much, I can tell. It seems to be the same with gluten, but I can only allow even SMALLER amounts before having problems, so I can't even have a bite of pasta...just trace amounts, like a dusting of gluten-containing something.

I am thinking that one of those hydrogen breath tests would let me know if I need to be avoiding fructose, etc.....just too disillusioned with doctors right now to schedule an appointment. Then there's the matter that with FODMAPs, it's not JUST the fructose, but the other parts of the acronym, so maybe the fructose would actually be better for me than some of the other substances?

I am also investigating that it could simply be a corn sensitivity. I still haven't figured it all out. SOMETHING is giving me bad body odor, after eating certain meals. Trying to sort it all out. Right now FODMAPs seems most likely for my fermented-smelling, strong body odor. But haven't proven it yet, because my discipline waxes and wanes, because of having a hard time cutting out what I need to due to the fatigue (vicious cycle, I know).

My cod liver oil was flavored with citrus extracts, and that caused issues. Also, fruit juice sometimes seems to trigger the smelly pits. So I'm like 70% sure it's FODMAPs. It would explain why I can eat SOME gluten and dairy, but not tons.

CAcfs

Tony,

Do you know if with the FODMAPs diet, if corn chips and corn tortillas are okay? (obviously without weird additives) If those foods are a problem, I'm wondering if the additives in supplements that use corn are okay?

I know high fructose corn syrup is bad, but I'm still not clear if corn itself is. Thank you!

Tony

Still working on it all..
Hi CAcfs,

Sorry, I've got no idea! I don't eat either. In the study I mentioned above they say that corn flour, corn flakes and corn crispbread are fine. So my guess is corn is ok but perhaps not some of the commercially produced foods containing corn.