• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone have experience with combating humidity

Aerose91

I spent a couple months in Florida february/march. At first i felt fine but once the humidity and mugginess picked up i really started declining. I got out of there and into less humid environemnts but nothing seems to be improving. This is the worst ive been physically in 5 years of disease.

Im assuming the problem with humidity is a lower oxygen issue but it seems to have done some long term damage since it hasnt changed at all since leaving. Has anyone else dealt with something like this? If so, did you eventually improve and are there any tricks to try?

Bansaw

I lived in africa for a few years with no air con.
After three months my body adapted, and actually I drank loads of water and that helped me in a number of ways.
The issue with Florida is you are forever changing between a cool air-con'd house to a humid outdoors so your body struggles to finally adapt.

Aerose91

I lived in africa for a few years with no air con.
After three months my body adapted, and actually I drank loads of water and that helped me in a number of ways.
The issue with Florida is you are forever changing between a cool air-con'd house to a humid outdoors so your body struggles to finally adapt.
I was actually living in my car so was never in air conditioning. However, it was 60's-70's when i was there so not that hot. Just really muggy and humid

Kati

Patient in training
Is the humidity the real problem or is it heat + humidity? Humidity factor makes the sensation of the heat even worse than what it is. Personally I don't do well in the heat, ever since the very first year I got sick.

POTS patients have trouble with heat as vasodilation occurs which further reduces the blood in the main circulation.

So the solutions are:
- compression garments (some purchased G-suits but then it would be an ordeal to put this contraption on)
- a cooling vest - which comes with pockets to insert cool packs to keep your body cool
- avoidance of the heat
- drinking even more electrolyte drinks to maintain volume
- an air conditioning unit and keeping your place cool.
- going out only when it's cooler, late at night or early morning.
- getting assessed for POTS.
- wearing a heart monitor and make sure you are staying well below your anaerobic threshold

Best wishes, Kati

ebethc

The combo of heat + humidity really affects me, but humidity alone is really hard on me, too. I get fatigued, bloated, my sinuses blow up like a balloon (any kind of particulate matter causes this, so maybe the particles are hanging in the air more in humidity - ie, not necessarily mold.. not sure. I tested negative for IgG to mold, but who knows how accurate that is!)

I've always thought it was a mold allergy, but I don't know much about vascular issues / POTS so I'm not sure if there could be some other issue.

I am very curious to know if it could be a vascular issue, especially because I have used leg compression massage apparatus in a doctor's office which really helped! When I get the money, I'm going to buy this on Amazon and see if it helps...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YHYMSRS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Otherwise, I don't seem to have POTS or vascular issues; I'm rarely dizzy and never have depth perception problems. Has anyone else gotten relief from one of these compression massage contraptions? Can anyone explain why they might help me?