• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone get "brain freeze" headaches?

Just curious whether anyone else gets severe headaches that feel like a persistent "brain freeze". My daughter said it feels like her brain is swelling in her head. Anyone know what causes this? She has had headaches in the past but not like this one. She has been on an anti-viral drug for 2 months - perhaps this is a side effect????

Pam

lansbergen

Just curious whether anyone else gets severe headaches that feel like a persistent "brain freeze". My daughter said it feels like her brain is swelling in her head. Anyone know what causes this? She has had headaches in the past but not like this one. She has been on an anti-viral drug for 2 months - perhaps this is a side effect????Pam

Does she mean like a waterhead (hydrocephalus)? That is what I called it.

Feels like brain is to big for skull.

I think mine was meninges swelling.

Valentijn

Just curious whether anyone else gets severe headaches that feel like a persistent "brain freeze". My daughter said it feels like her brain is swelling in her head. Anyone know what causes this? She has had headaches in the past but not like this one. She has been on an anti-viral drug for 2 months - perhaps this is a side effect????

Well, not to be alarmist, but her brain probably is swelling a bit in her head. Widespread inflammation is pretty common with ME, as is the headache. If I take 2-3 grams of fish oil per day, it stays away. After first starting on the fish oil, it takes about a day for the headache to stop. And if I stop taking the fish oil, the headache comes back after about a day.

So, while it might sound weird, it's cheap, easy to get, and very effective for a lot of people. Two of the fatty acids in fish oil are DHA and EPA, which are basically anti-inflammatory, and help block the effects of inflammatory oils, such as olive oil.