• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

anyone find something that significantly improves cognition/memory?

taniaaust1

Gotu kola is said to improve cognition and memory (healthy people often take it for memory) but Ive never heard anyone with ME say it was helpful to them and that didnt help my memory in any way.

In my case my memory was helped B12 injections (standard B12 supplements didnt help) which I had 2 per week. (improvement happened after the 3rd injection so in the second week... Im back on those again now but this time improvement didnt happpen till after the 4th one). They dont help my working memory (eg for maths etc) but they helped my actual memory retrival of memories. Suddenly I had memory recall again (I'd been severely affected in that area).

I had a deficiency of Molybdenum which I found out about by a hair test... and taking Molybdenum/zinc tablets within 3-5 days gave my working memory back to me, so that I was able to do maths in my head again (something I hadnt been able to do for years).

taniaaust1

Of course, carb intake is also a factor. If I don't eat for a while and eat a good amount of carbs I'll be quite sleep and foggy. This problem isn't as bad if I eat my carbs througout the day.​

You could have issues with your insulin and it spiking too much (which then can lead to the added issue of hypoglycemia). Both those issues may cause tiredness and a foggy head.
Consider having a 2hr glucose Tolerance Test done but with the Insulin levels being take too at the same time.