• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any Chemical Change triggers Stress Response

So this is what's happening and has been for a long time:
Pretty much any chemical change happens in my body, and the system sends out a red alert causing a physical anxiety that can last for days...and even weeks at a time.
Most recently it was triggered by my switch from one brand of zinc citrate to another. I noticed on the label that the new one didn't have L-Leucine, and it sent my system off the deep end until the day after I located more and started taking it.
It can be triggered by almost anything. Even food sometimes. When I took methylcobalamin it got bad right away.
It's like if I take something I shouldn't, my system reacts almost immediately. But if I take away something that it' reliant on, I notice it about 2.5-3 days later. Either way, it's the same reaction.
I have all kinds of other issues, but if I can take care of this physical stress response and not have to go days or weeks at a time not being able to sleep or function, I can deal with anything.
Does this sound the same as anyone else here? I'm in the middle of this "attack" and I'm not even sure why this time. I really need to break the loop or whatever is happening.

I just want to add, this whole thing is the physical system going out of balance and causing the stress response. My mood is actually very calm, even when it's happening.
This is NOT getting stressed/anxious about something and then the system reacts to it. It's the opposite.

Wolfcub

I also feel a certain "stress response" when anything feels out of whack with my body. You are right. What you are talking about is not anxiety but a certain anxiety response is triggered by it.

I have often felt too nervous/wired/weird to sleep when I am really unwell. That has happened through my life, not just now.

ljimbo423

So this is what's happening and has been for a long time:
Pretty much any chemical change happens in my body, and the system sends out a red alert causing a physical anxiety that can last for days

I have the same problem with most of my supplements. If I don't take the same dose of the same supplements, at the same time every day, my anxiety goes through the roof!

Like you, I think it has something to do with the bio-chemical changes supplements make. I use to think it was related to the immune system. Now I'm thinking it might have more to do with dysfunctional mitochondria.

If there is mitochondrial dysfunction in the brain. That might explain these weird reactions we get from supplements. If the supplements are affecting the mitochondria in the brain.

I find it very restricting though, having to take all my supplements at the same dose and the same time every day. It also causes a lot of anxiety, knowing if I don't take them on time, my anxiety will be jacked up in a big way.

I know for certain this is a physical thing because it happens every time I miss a dose of supplements, even if I don't realize I've missed it. My anxiety will go through the roof!

I have the same problem with most of my supplements. If I don't take the same dose of the same supplements, at the same time every day, my anxiety goes through the roof!

Like you, I think it has something to do with the bio-chemical changes supplements make. I use to think it was related to the immune system. Now I'm thinking it might have more to do with dysfunctional mitochondria.

If there is mitochondrial dysfunction in the brain. That might explain these weird reactions we get from supplements. If the supplements are affecting the mitochondria in the brain.

I find it very restricting though, having to take all my supplements at the same dose and the same time every day. It also causes a lot of anxiety, knowing if I don't take them on time, my anxiety will be jacked up in a big way.

I know for certain this is a physical thing because it happens every time I miss a dose of supplements, even if I don't realize I've missed it. My anxiety will go through the roof!
Yes! That's exactly what it's like for me too. I have suspected mitochondria as well as damaged cell walls.
I had an OAT done but don't really understand some of the results, but I've got very high 2-Oxoglutaric and very high 3-Hydroxyglutaric, which is apparently a problem, but I have no idea what to do about it.
I'm also not processing B6 for some reason...it's normal in serum testing but down to almost nothing according to the OAT.