• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amitryptiline / elavil

Anyone on this medication ? Does it help any of your symptoms ?

Im thinking of trying low dose at night to help with sleeping. I dont want to feel any worse though during the day.

I get flu-like symptoms daily, weird toxic fatigue, fake fever, sometimes sore throat, irritated nose and chest, some sneezing.

I think elavil does have some antihistamine properties to it so wondering if could help other things aside from.sleep.

Input ? I see doc in 2 days

Thanks

I am on amitriptyline, the brand version in Australia is endep. My dr started me on 10mg for a couple weeks until I adjusted to the medication and then I went onto 25mg and stayed there.

It has helped my facial pain significantly, allowed me to sleep better at night and helped a little with headache. It also helped me regulate my sleep. Since I am sleeping better (mostly) I am not as fatigued when I wake up. Initially the drowsiness from this medication is pretty heavy but it only takes about a week for your body to get use to it.

Thanks. I have taken 10mg in past years ago but did not have this illness at the time. I had that morning grogginess for just few days and dry mouth. I tolerated well.

I just was hoping it could help me now.

I just started last night. I have slept much better, and I have had much more energy during the day.I have started with 10mg too. I was afraid because I took scitalopram (another antidepressant) last summer for two weeks and it spoiled my stomach (it is very sensitive) for some time. I am very scared of the side effects that it usually has in other people.

I am going to give it a try, but let's see how my stomach responds the next days... If I tolerate it good, I think I will continue with it, I had forgotten what was sleeping for 6 hours since I got sick. But i dont want to too confident...

There was another post in this website about amitryptiline, and I think only 12% of the people who voted said it helped.