Our Newly Ill Face Their First Holiday Season with ME/CFS
Don't look now! The holiday season is on its way. I've lived through decades of them with ME/CFS. So have many of you in our chronically ill community. That's beyond sad for all of us. But at least we have some idea what we're contending with, and have learned our ways of handling...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

All Things Mast Cell with World-Renowned Clinical Researcher Dr. Theoharides

Discussion in 'Mast Cell Disorders/Mastocytosis' started by Fogbuster, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Senior Member

https://www.drkarafitzgerald.com/2018/11/20/mast-cell-clinical-researcher-dr-theoharides/

I felt it was absolutely necessary to share this chat between Dr Theoharides & Dr Fitzgerald for any others dealing with mast cell issues who want to keep up to date with the latest golden nuggets on MCAS.

Theoharides in this radio show reveals a seriously impressive amount of interesting insights on things from how most chronic conditions have mast cell involvement, fake mainstream luteolin supplements, possible complications from consuming too higher dose of flavonoids, to the pattern of microglia activation in various disorders such as post lyme, MCAS, ME/CFS and even autism. I came out feeling very inspired and reassured that I was getting the most legit info I could get moving forward with these frustrating & highly complex issues.

On a personal note, it could be due to how information dense the chat was but it seems like since the positive response I've got from fexofenadine and an even better one since I've doubled the dose, it didn't feel like a chore to listen through 1hr40 mins of his chat with Dr Fitzgerald on her radio show last night.

Anyway, I hope this helps some peeps like it did for me. I look forward to hearing others thoughts on it all! :)

2. lazzlazz

lazzlazz

Seattle
    There's some really good info about flavonoids dosing - towards the end of the podcast. It's complicated, so it helps to follow the transcript.

Relevant part on flavonoids (from transcript):
    Dr. Theoharis Theoharides: Number one, I never give more than one gram a day, flavonoids of any combination for two reasons. Number one, if you actually … The flavonoids are absorbed less than 10% from the gut. Let’s say we prescribed three grams a day quercetin. What will happen is it will basically stay in the gut primarily. It will shut down every enzyme in your gut. You’re literally destroying your bioflora or the microbiota, if you wish. On the one hand, we’ll be giving probiotics. On the other, we’re basically killing all the enzymes. We’re basically just shooting ourselves in the foot.

Dr. Kara Fitzgerald: Well, why is it killing the enzymes? What enzymes are you talking about? The menthyl transferases and stuff? Which……

Dr. Theoharis Theoharides: The first round of enzymes on anything that we absorb is in the gut. Then it goes into the liver. Many of the vitamins have to be actually metabolized before we absorb them. I don’t want to affect gut enzymes. One of my colleagues here, David Greenblatt has published many papers that even juice from citrus, whether it’s oranges or grapefruit or whatever, inhibits basically the gut enzymes and then it causes problems.

Dr. Kara Fitzgerald: Okay.

Dr. Theoharis Theoharides: I would rather give smaller amounts and increase the absorption rather than giving high amount, hoping that that will do it. Moreover, if, let’s say, most of what we give, let’s say we give three grams a day and 10% is absorbed, so 300 milligrams or whatever, that will also inhibit liver enzymes.

Dr. Theoharis Theoharides: This is why in all the supplements we created, we mix them up with olive seed extract. Olive seed extract, if you take the olive oil, you’re left with a pit, basically. If you crush the pit, you get a little thicker oil. In Europe, that’s used for salad dressing. It’s nothing exotic. It’s 10 times cheaper than olive oil. I actually import olive seed oil from Greece to Long Island, New York. What happens is if you mix a powder with any oil, basically, and you give it energy, let’s say you shake it or your centrifuge it or you sonicate it, you create basically lyposomes. The oil becomes little lipid spheres. It traps the powder inside. We increase the absorption about three to five fold that way.
    Dr. Kara Fitzgerald: Wow.
    Dr. Theoharis Theoharides: This way …
    Dr. Kara Fitzgerald: You’ve demonstrated that? You’ve demonstrated that?
    Dr. Theoharis Theoharides: Oh, yeah. We’ve published that in animals, not in humans. It’s well known that that’s what happens.
    Dr. Kara Fitzgerald: Yeah, okay.
    Dr. Theoharis Theoharides: Basically, I prefer to have … For instance, one of the products that’s called fibroprotect, and we called it that because I give it a lot of fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue patients, contains, actually about 200 milligrams of luteolin and quercetin. That way, if you mentioned, let’s say you have about 500 milligrams total, but you absorb about 50% of that, that’s 250 milligrams. If you give one gram, not only are you actually screwing up your gut, but you will absorb less than 10%. You’re basically the same amount, but you’re having problems. You see where I’m going?
    Dr. Kara Fitzgerald: Yes.
    Dr. Theoharis Theoharides: From the cancer field, not from us, there are many publications that if you give quercetin and luteolin together, you get better activity. That’s why I combine the two. Now two things that I also want to stress with flavonoids, it’s the cheapest source or quercetin and luteolin, because luteolin comes, basically, from the same source, because it’s only one hydroxyl group different is actually peanut shells. However, as you know, unfortunately dietary supplements are not regulated. There’s no indication of the purity or the source. Most of the cheaper sources would be about 80% pure. If one of your patients has peanut allergy and they get it from peanut source, they’ll have a reaction, and you’ll never know it.

sb4 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.