• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adverse Reaction to Acetyl-Glutathione?

jpredsoxdude00

randomguy145
Hello all-

I'm new to this forum and have a few questions for anybody who has any input.

I am recently diagnosed with Babesia and Bartonella tick-borne diseases, and have been following the Buhner protocol with some good success. Upon researching detox methods, I stumbled upon Acetyl-Glutathione. I took 200mg the first night to thwart off some of the herx symptoms I had developed and did not notice much of a difference. The following morning, I took another 200mg and felt great relief from the herxing. I was curious how it worked, so after further research, I saw that it has the potential to deplete Methyfolate and B-12, so I proceeded to take 2000mcg Hydroxocobalamin (Disclosure: I have COMT +/+, MTHFS +/+, MTHFR C677T +/-, and MAO-A +/+, among others), as well as 100mcg Methyfolate. I felt great on the glutathione, but later in the afternoon, about an hour after taking the methylfolate, I began to experience rapid heart beat, weird general feeling of malaise, headache, heat flashed/redness, anxiety, nausea and a sore throat. Many of these symptoms are not normal for my herxes, namely the heart beat, nausea, and wierd nervy feeling (body just feels weird).

I have been taking all the cofactors necessary for downstream methylation (B-Minus supplement and Multimineral, as well as trace minerals) support for months, and the hydroxocobalamin for quite awhile without any issues. I have also experimented with higher doses of methylfolate and Methyl b12 without much adverse effects, aside from slight over-stimulation, which went away after a day.

Upon experiencing the weird set of symptoms, I panicked and took 900mcg more of the methylfolate, and 2000mcg hydroxocobalamin thinking I had depleted my body of the methylgroups from using the glutathione. It seemed to calm me somewhat.

The next morning, I woke up very agitated, feeling "nervy" all over. I took more methylfolate, and it seemed to help somewhat, but then hours later, the same set of symptoms cropped up. Thinking I set myself into methy trap, I took 2000mcg methyl b-12 this morning, despite my COMT status, and experienced the overstimulation. I took niacin to fix this, and i gradually got the symptoms back again.

I am now unsure what to do, as I am afraid that whatever I take next will somehow exasperate the situation since I am not sure what I am dealing with. Anybody have any input as to what may be going on.