• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adrenal test questions

I was wondering if anyone knows something about that.

I'm now in UK to have some tests and don't know if the changed time zone will influence the results. So here in UK I'm basically two hours less than my usual time zone in my country.
That is when in my country is 0800 o'clock here in UK is 0600.
Would that influence the cortisol results as my adrenal should have the peak at 0800?
Should I collect at 1000 o'clock?

Second question - I've read that first cortisol should be collected on empty stomach after fasting the night. Is it true? It was an all things male forum.

Third question - should I stop any sulphury food one day before and the day of test as I've read?

Many thanks for your feedback

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I don't remember the specifics of how I did mine, sorry. I did a couple saliva cortisol tests and ultimately did not find them that helpful - my symptoms were more telling. But my all means, check it out and see what it has to tell you!

ukxmrv

I've done a few saliva cortisol tests years apart and my mornings readings were always around the same mark (very low). They were taken at different times and for me a couple of hours wouldn't make a difference.

Not sure how time zones and travel would affect your reading though.

For my cortisol blood test at hospital (I did a short syntacten test) I was told not to eat after 10pm and to have no breakfast before their test. Can't remember about the saliva one sorry.

Hope you get on OK.

Many thanks guys for feedback!

@Sherpa - Ok got that but how could I differentiate low from high cortisol for example? I believe by symptoms And history I have low cortisol low sigA low dhea low testosterone but can't be sure. Did you test other hormones?or neurotransmitters? Do you find testing the useless also? Just to make my mind clearer. And if cortisol or dhea are low should I try supplementing?

@bluesteem - unfortunately I haven't found a good doctor that's why I'm doing the tests by my own in a different country but thanks anyway for guiding me.

@ukxmrv - got it. Good point on the different hours same results. What is the synctaten test? Is it helpfull? I had several blood cortisol am but they were "in the range" . Got chronic infections for years last ones discovered are reactivated EBV and systemic candida.

To make things more blurry I've caught a cold these days :).