• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Absence of Evidence

trishrhymes

Excellent paper from Margaret Williams. Spells out the perilous situation ME sufferers in UK are in because of actions of Wessely and pals. And suggests it's getting worse with new MUS rubbish being sold to clinical commissioning groups and DWP so we're in danger of even worse neglect.

Sigh...

Barry53

A thought, prompted by this. The day will come, where irrefutable evidence of biological disease will be discovered, and unambiguous biomarker(s) will be identified ... maybe even this year, who knows. At that point the prevailing establishment will plead they did their best given the absence of evidence at the time, and cannot in any way be held to blame for the suffering and harm caused to ME/CFS sufferers. But there must now (and must have for some time) surely be a mass of empirical data giving serious cause for reasonable doubt regarding the safety of existing ME/CFS treatments.

If you are talking about the risk of serious harm, or even death, to people, you cannot sanely argue that you did nothing because you lacked 100% proof. You instead have to work by the principle of reasonable doubt, and if the available empirical data gives cause for reasonable doubt of existing methods, then those methods must surely be urgently addressed.

There must at the very least be a real Health and Safety issue here? Is it possible there could be breaches of Health and Safety law being committed in the UK in this regard? Or if H&S is not itself impacted, could not H&S principles be used as precedents?

I would like the powers-that-be to ponder this: If you find yourself in a court of law sometime (maybe not so far) in the future, answering why you waited for 100% proof that people were being harmed by current treatments before doing anything, rather than considering reasonable doubt as to their safety before doing anything ... are you confident you will be able to exonerate yourself?

alex3619

There is already irrefutable proof of biological disease processes. What is lacking is on the diagnostic side. Also its been an historical fact that psychopsychiatry has failed to demonstrate safety, instead its regarded as not necessary, with the implied claim that obviously its safe. Of all the areas in medicine, psychiatry has probably produced the most horrors in history, and that history is continuing, though a lot of that is from failed biopsychiatry. We need psychiatry ... scientific psychiatry. Not psychobabble.

In order to demonstrate harm it might first be necessary to objectively demonstrate diagnosis. Only then can the issue move forward. However, right now, these people face the judgement of history. I suspect, where anyone even remembers in fifty years time, these people will be considered the dangerous clowns of medicine.