• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Abnormal blood test

tinacarroll27

Hi all just got a phone call from my GP and they have found something abnormal on my blood tests.
First I have vitamin D deficiency and so I am getting a prescription for that. Second I have high potassium but my kidneys are fine and normal and they think it may be dehydration or a false positive on test, so having to have that test done again and lastly my TSH is high.

This is the second time I have come back with high TSH so they are going to check my thyroid antibodies. I have had ME for 25 years and first went down with it at 14, went through years of relapse and remission and had a major relapse in 2013 after the flu but suspected thyroid problems before relapse in 2013 as my hair was falling out and I have lost my eyebrows. Felt neglected with NHS for years.

I still feel I have ME as I fit the Canadian and ICC and I get PEM, but after years of bad health I think the ME has taken a toll on my body, as it has with us all, and now things are showing up on blood tests. I am off to doctors to get prescription and I will see if I feel any better after sorting out the Vitamin D deficiency. GP has suggested a trial of thyroid meds to see how I feel. Will keep updating!!

wastwater

There maybe no antibodies against thyroid but you maybe still going hypothyroid,that's common in ME
I have that and erratic potassium and high glucose I started taking a drop or two of solgar liquid vitamin D one thing I noticed is if you take antidepressants it seems to increase effectiveness sometimes too much

overtheedge

Has your doctor tested you for T4 and T3? I've heard/read that T3 is really important though I'm not sure that many mainstream doctors test for it or believe it to be important. Have your cortisol levels been tested, I've read that if both your adrenals and thyroid are having problems and you begin with thyroid supplementation before your adrenal problems have been corrected it can lead to a lot of problems.

I'm not certain but I think having problems with your thyroid can increase the likelihood that your adrenals are having problems since they are both rather closely connected. The test to do for cortisol would be a saliva test where you take four or so samples over the course of a day. If you want to see if the symptoms of adrenal problems match up with your own search something like "adrenal fatigue symptoms" on google and see what you find, some may overlap with CFS in general but things like salt craving, much lower stress tolerance, feeling lightheaded on standing, not being able to wake up in the morning and feeling better in the afternoon may point more to adrenal problems.