• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

a cold virus has turned into???

el_squared

Hi there,
So can anyone explain why when we with CFS get colds, they don't go away. I came down with a cold a week ago. It did and does seem like a common cold. My boyfriend got it also and after several days sick he feels better.

But with me, while my cough, etc. has gone lessened, I'm left exhausted and with this buzzy, shaky feeling, sometimes with chills. Does anyone else have this feeling? I suppose it's like having a temperature, but I never run a high temperature. I just feel awful, like I have the flu but I don't.

This is what happens to me now. I get what appears to be a normal cold and then I just get sicker and sicker. I take Tylenol because it does make me feel less flu-ish -- it takes away the shaky feeling -- but only temporarily. I don't want to take too much of it.

Do colds "reactivate" epstein barr, or mycoplasma pneumonia, both things I've been tested high for?

Happy holidays,
Laura

Kati

Patient in training
Hi Laura (@el_squared)

There seems to be 2 phases of the illness when it comes to immune system with ME patients. Either you have an over-active immune system and don't have a cold or flu for years, sometimes decades, or you ick up many infections and can't seem to be able to get rid of them.

If you have an understanding physician, you may want to ask for immuno-globulin testing to see if you aren't defficient, as it is a possibility, and is fairly common in our patient population.

It is an untimely time of year to be sicker than usual. i hope you feel better soon.

Best wishes, and merry Christmas.