When the 'Holiday Season' Is No Holiday at all for Those With ME/CFS
Is December getting to you? Jody Smith shares some thoughts on some of the struggles that all too often attend this time of year ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

A Chinese Perspective on SEID

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Never Give Up, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

English Chinese News Service has an article on ME/CFS, they are using the name SEID. It starts out fairly well, but, moves into an estimated prevalence rate of 10-25% in 10 Chinese cities, and ends with psychogenic ideas, CBT, and GET. All the same, they are talking about it respectfully, acknowledging it being a major problem in China, and bringing it to the attention of their readers.

http://www.ecns.cn/2015/02-25/155683.shtml

jimells, ahmo and Simon like this.
  2. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    I guess that shows that the name change wont remove the CBT and GET beliefs.. sighs.. now 10-25% of people in cities have SEID. I think the ONLY way they will get rid of the psych beliefs attached to ME/CFS would be have actual testable abnormalities in the diagnostic critera so to turn it into a real disease...

Never Give Up likes this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    A name change was never likely to reverse psychobabble. The definition will fail unless its accompanied by a massive education program. To be fair though this is a journalist's viewpoint, and seems to conflate chronic fatigue with SEID.

jimells, SOC, Never Give Up and 2 others like this.
  4. adreno

adreno PR activist

Just goes to show that they didn't read the report, which specifically disrecommends CBT/GET.

5. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

@adreno, your photo and caption made me laugh out loud, and then sort of cry. I don't know if you are an artist, the originator of this piece, but now would be the perfect time for an article displaying an artist's depiction of life with ME/CFS!

Gingergrrl, ahmo and halcyon like this.
  6. adreno

adreno PR activist

No, I shamelessly stole it from a blog somewhere. Though I'm neither female, nor use a wheelchair, I think it illustrates pretty well the feeling of having ME/CFS.

zzz, WillowJ, AndyPandy and 4 others like this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    10-25%? Is this a bad translation from a tenth of that?

See more popular forum discussions.