• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. H

An Introduction to the Microbiome and ME/CFS

Please see my comments about gut malrotation/maattachment under "Hibernia" in other discussions. Typed a long comment, but couldn't log in ?? Hope this works.
  2. H

my stomach swells like im 9 months pregnant..anyone else?

Yes, I sure appreciate your comments about surgery. I was offered surgery, but have not done it, as I am okay for now - not perfect, but okay. I had a huge rectal ulcer from my bowel telescoping - in the redundant sigmoid area. Acupuncture helped me with this. So glad you have had relief of...
  3. H

Thank you Lala. About 5 years ago I took 2 weeks of Levaquin for severe abdominal pain with fever- thought to be diverticulitis, but it didn't show on abdominal CT. At about day 5 I felt the horrible fatigue begin to lift. I was able to hike several miles - no more abdominal pain. I thought I...
  4. H

Gee, back in the 1970s when I worked clinical microbiology at a large hospital ( in Pittsburgh, Penna.) parasites, with the exception of pinworms, were very rare. Maybe this has changed ? Plus, light infections were hard to pick up - ie we had to concentrate the eggs, etc. A laborious process...
  5. H

I just wrote a looonnng specific comment but got bumped off somehow. Bottom line : the neurology and intestinal structure is critical, critical, critical. Please read about MRI negative myelopathies : http://pn.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/8/2/90 Also, intestinal malrotation, malattachment...
  6. H

Okay GI friends. I love this discussion. Big, important thoughts. I also think we may have a MTHFR mutation at the bottom of this whole mess. Either that or a mild chromosome 22q 11.2 deletion ( DiGeorge syndrome) issue. ( could MTHFR be part of that ? must check) Malrotation of the gut can be...
  7. H

Please note the tests I mentioned earlier - especially the Sitzmark. It really is essential to be with a doctor and radiologist who is an expert at these complex bowel diagnoses. There is a surgeon, Dr. Garth Ballantyne, who has written much and seems to understand the complexities. It is my...
  8. H

Thank you, Athene. Your words are kind. I have learned much of this 'the hard way.' Please read, read, read. I will be away from my computer for a few weeks, but happy to answer anything I can.
  9. H

Athene, Ah ha ! Redundant colon ! I am not surprised. Motility is an important issue in these cases. The Sitzmark test helps look at that. It is a very easy test. You swallow a capsule of (24 ?)little rings, then get a plain x-ray each of about 5 days to track the progress of the rings. Where...
  10. H

There is an important issue that has been totally overlooked - intestinal malrotation/malattachment, including redundant colon. A malrotation of the gut is a congenital issue where the intestine ( during the early 4-6 weeks of embryo development) does not make the full 270 degree...