• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. B

XMRV controversy worthy of 60 Minutes story?

Focus on the possibility of XMRV (a cancer-causing, contagious retrovirus) being in the nation's blood supply. That should scare anybody.
  2. B

Stem Cells

That's the exact word cheney has used..."essential". He says it is essential to rest after the procedure.
  3. B

Anti-XMRV Blog -New post

In her current blog, Abbie stresses over and over the point that there is no quantitative way to measure whether antiretroviral drugs are having any effect on a person. And she is correct. For now. But her argument won't be correct for long, because a quantitative test for XMRV (a plasma...
  4. B

Anti-XMRV Blog -New post

Good point, dipic. I would never have guessed that the person in this video is the same person who, on her blog, once told someone to "go f--- yourself sideways with a rusty knife."
  5. B

And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic - on how it happened

You miss the point. The point is, as Shilts states, "the federal government put budget ahead of the nation's welfare..."
  6. B

And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic - on how it happened

Interesting that Shilts mentions the US government's role in the spread of AIDS. My ME/CFS doctor told me recently that the government doesn't want to acknowledge XMRV because it would break Medicare.
  7. B

Jonathan Kerr - "poison pill"

FWIW, my ME/CFS doc told me that Kerr's gene research doesn't square with XMRV.
  8. B

Stem Cells

According to Cheney, it is still operational.
  9. B

Stem Cells

Stem Cell Clinic in Costa Rica is forced to close.... http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6516UR20100602?feedType=RSS&feedName=scienceNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2FscienceNews+%28News+%2F+US+%2F+Science%29&utm_content=Twitter
  10. B

CDC replication study delayed in order to prepare a press release?!

Hmmm. My ME/CFS doc told me that two new tests were coming out for XMRV in June from from Frank Ruscetti's lab at the NCI. One is a serology test to find antibodies and the second is more sensitive, one that is a quantitative test for XMRV. Wonder if this is why VIP is down?:Retro confused:
  11. B

demeirleir

Many thanks!
  12. B

Starting Raltegravir

Good luck jimbob.... keeping fingers crossed for you!
  13. B

5th Invest in ME/CFS Conference - Programme May 24 2010

Cheney's patients were tested at VIP.
  14. B

5th Invest in ME/CFS Conference - Programme May 24 2010

Dr. Jaime Deckoff-Jones has tested X+ and is experimenting with antiretrovirals. This exerpt comes from her blog: The good news is that if the drugs can move the illness, it is supportive of the hypothesis that XMRV is causative in the pathogenesis of the disease...
  15. B

Interviewing Dr. Coffin

rrrr...my hat is off to you! This was just great info!! :victory:
  16. B

Xmrv not very pleasant news

Gerwyn, Sorry to be ignorant, but does this mean that if you have stem cell therapy using cord blood, you might later have an increased risk of developing leukemia/lymphoma? :Retro confused:
  17. B

Stem Cells

Cheney DOES believe XMRV is a major player... in fact, he believes XMRV causes CFS. He resumed the stem cell research not because of any negative studies (which he discredits), but to make sure those who had received stem cells before he knew about XMRV were okay.
  18. B

Dr. Judy Mikovits IACFS/ME Newsletter Apr 2010 Q & A

Many thanks! Lots of great information here :Retro smile:
  19. B

Stem Cells

20. B

Stem Cells

Slight correction: Cheney's patients do not use their own stem cells. They are given placenta and cord blood stem cells from newborn babies.
  21. B

Stem Cells

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/CFSFMExperimental/message/129054
  22. B

My AZT + RAL Trial

I'm pulling for you, Sue!! Good luck!! :Retro smile:
  23. B

Stem Cells

Cheney tried this, but discontinued it.
  24. B

Stem Cells

Seven Cheney patients are going for stem cells this month. At least one of the patients is getting a portion of them intrathecally (injected into the spinal cord) and then getting the remaining amount of stem cells via IV infusion.
  25. B

Stem Cells

Excuse my ignorance, but what is GMA? Thanks