• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tireless Work on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - profile of researcher Betsy Keller

Murph

:)
https://www.ithaca.edu/news/tireless-work-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

Tireless Work on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
By Kerry Regan, September 7, 2018
IC professor Betsy Keller is among the leaders of a comprehensive new study of the misunderstood disease.

In the early 2000s, seven decades after chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) was first recorded by doctors, those who suffered from the disease still struggled to convince the world thatsomething was physically wrong with them. Then as now, the disease— known outside the U.S. asmyalgic encephalomyelitis (ME)—had no diagnostic test, no biomarker or telltale biological sign that the sufferer was ill, and no treatment approved by the Foodand DrugAdministration.

But in Southern California, a group called the Workwell Foundation had been successfullyverifying ME/CFS by having patients complete twoconsecutivestandard VO2 maxtests, which measure the maximum amount of oxygen a person can use during intense exercise, to gauge cardiovascular fitness and aerobic endurance. Where healthy people and those with other illnesses are able to reproduce their first-day performance on day two, those with ME/CFShave significant drop-offs.

For patients, these resultscan provide proofofthe illnessto medical professionals and the insurance companies that oversee disability policies. Word of the approach’s success spread quickly among ME/CFS sufferers. Among them was a friend ofIC exercise and sport sciences professor Betsy Keller. Keller and her friend had been out of touch for a while when in 2003 the friend approached Keller about conductinga VO2 max test. The friend believed she hadME/CFS, but couldn’t afford or physically endure a trip to California, the nearest place that offered the test.

Keller agreed to have her in for dual sessions on the exercise and sport sciences department’sVO2 max test equipment. “On day one, she tested like a low fitness person who was inactive and not doing too much,” Keller said. “On day two, I looked at the data and immediately checked the equipment thinking it was out of calibration. The test made no sense. How could measurements drop so precipitously? But in fact, the equipment was not out of calibration. What I was seeing was real.”

“That was the beginning,” Keller said. Fifteen years later, she has tested about 150 patientsgiving her a depth of experience with the disease that is shared by a select few. Now sheisamong the leaders of a new ME/CFS collaborative research center based at Cornell University and encompassing seven other institutions, including IC, funded with a five-year,$9.4 million grant from the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The center at Cornell is one of three that the NIH established last fall;the other two are based at Columbia University and the Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine in Farmington, Connecticut. The NIH’s Data Management and Coordinating Center, which is funded collectively at $29 million, manages the findings of the three centers.

Together the centersare undertaking a multifaceted five-year study that is arguably the most comprehensive research effort to date—some would say the first comprehensive research effort to date—to find the cause of the disease.Keller leads the “clinical core”of the Cornell center’s initiative, leading a team that will collect VO2 max test and other data at the three sites—including IC—to feedthree investigations, twoat Cornell and one at Weill Cornell Medicine in New York City.

continues..

Great article! Thanks for posting Murph.

Sounds like they are doing a fantastic job! I wish things would go faster, but that’s because it’s hard to be patient as a patient.

I’m happy to read that Dr. Keller is aiming at finding a biomarker that doesn’t involve an exercise challenge.

Dr Keller: “When I give talks about this, I say my hope is that I’ll never have to do an exercise test on a patient again.”

That’s a very good aim. Like i said elsewhere, it’s ok to suffer for the sake of science, but not for standard diagnostics.

Wishful

I sent them an email mentioning the subgroup that doesn't have the physical limitations, and that studying us might be easier since we don't have those additional symptoms and biochemical changes.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Thanks @Murph ! :thumbsup: The article continues quite a bit longer than the quoted section above, and, they are looking for study participants, will see if I can copy the relevant info here - it worked!

Have you been diagnosed with MECFS?

If so, and you’re interested in participating in the study, contact the study office:

Ithaca College
ME/CFS Study Office
336 Smiddy Hall
953 Danby Road
Ithaca, NY  14850

mecfsstudy@ithaca.edu
(607) 274-7948