• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Some questions about Hyperbaric Oxygen and IV Light therapy

overtheedge

A while ago my doctor suggested I try IV light therapy and hyperbaric oxygen which I've had on my mind but haven't done up to this point and now it looks like I'll be moving out of range of my doctors office in the next few months to a place that may not have any local opportunities to use these therapies, so, I have some specific concerns

1. How many treatments does it take before IV light or hyperbaric ox show any effects at all?
2. How many treatments before I hit the highest level of effects?
2. Are the improvements to be had from these treatments permanent or will I have to keep coming back for more treatments to keep any gains?

It'd really help me out to know the specifics, especially concerning question number 3, wishin you all the best

I can only answer HBOT treatment because I am researching it and plan to start it in October.
I also did a poll for it somewhere in the forum.

You will keep having to come back for more HBOT if it helps. It is not permanent.

There is very little research on HBOT and CFS. the nearest to a protocol is the fibromyalgia research paper which is what I will be doing.
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0127012

40 session 5 days a week.

Ema

I did IV light therapy 3x/week for a few months. It may have helped somewhat, but the effects were not overwhelming.

My doctor finds that it is more useful for injuries than chronic conditions at this point, though it’s possible that the yellow light (which he did not have when I tried it) might be more efficacious.

That said, some people do have miraculous turn-arounds after treatment. It’s hard to predict though.

The idea of these therapies is to jump start your own body to heal and produce energy. It’s like priming the pump. So eventually it shouldn’t be necessary to come back for regular treatments. It is more like acupuncture that way, but in chronic situations, it can take a year or even 5 to get to that point unfortunately.

Peyt

Can anyone tell me what is the usual pressure for the Hyperberic Oxygen therapy machine?
I called a place to go try it for an hour and she said the pressure of their machine is 4 psi... I am not sure what to expect.. is that normal? She said in the hospitals where they treat burn patients or patient with serious conditions the psi can go up to 30 or 60 psi but that's for short term use. … Is 4 psi pretty much the standard for the long term use?