• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Good Doctors appointments on National health

ChrisD

We are so often used to turning away from Doctor's appointments with national health services (NHS/NIH) and feeling dejected, frustrated, unheard and let down by an often arrogant or rude doctor who can only suggest psychological services or exercise due to useless guidelines...

BUT, every now and then you might come across a doctor who is a bit more clued up or atleast much more sympathetic and I thought that it could be great for any of us to share those stories in this thread to create some positivity.

I was inspired to write this because yesterday I had a good GP appointment with a locum at my local surgery and previously to that I saw another locum who was also good (I feel like things are changing a bit) - previously to this I have seen about 12 other NHS GPs who have mostly been condescending and non-cooperative with my plans to investigate my ill health.

1) So firstly my appointment a few months ago with the previous locum, I was lucky to meet a functional medicine practitioner working under the NHS who was very sympathetic and understood ME as an immune dysfunction/autoimmune type condition. She actually praised me for all the research I had done, and the protocols I already had in place such as a High fat diet, using probiotics, Myhill's protocol, pacing and my plans to try LDN (which she said she would be interested to prescribe but couldn't because hands are tied by NICE guidelines). Nothing really came of this appointment except for a referral to a Rheumatologist which was already in the pipeline, but I walked away feeling really happy and that all my hard work was appreciated (I had typed up and printed a health report for us to read together).

2) Yesterday, I saw a different locum as a follow-up and also because I recently had started to experience some uncomfortable neurological symptoms. Again, I felt listened to, understood and cared for. He took on board all my new symptoms, combined with existing and decided that a referral to the neurologist should be on the cards, which feels like a big accomplishment.

He also heard my request to repeat Lyme testing, although not the Western blot that I wanted, he wants to run the ELISA twice in case of false negatives - it feels like he was working hard with the resources he has available. Added to this, he was happy to run a full Thyroid panel - not just basic and also wanted to test me for Syphillis (even though I doubt I have that) as he recognised that an infection was probably causing my latest neuro symptoms.

I felt like I was at least making a small amount of progress with him and the surgery were also happy to organise phlebotomy for me to run my own private lyme and viral labs (Armin labs) with them.

I appreciate that I have probably been quite lucky to stumble upon a couple of understanding, more clued up modern GPs but could it be that the tide is turning? Does anyone else have any good experiences?

That’s really good news! Mine usually fob me off. I find it difficult to get an appointment with the same doctor each time so it’s hard to get any sense of continuity because you constantly have to explain everything from the beginning again which if you’ve been unwell for 15 years takes quite a while. Just the thought of that puts me off. I should go back though. Might try and get a copy of my medical records first because i’ve genuinely forgotten what I have and haven’t been tested for, especially in the early stages. Reason being it might give me a bit more ammunition when suggesting things.