• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adventures with ashwagandha

Tunguska

I tried KSM-66 for the first time around the time you posted this thread. It's noticeable, a bit like niacinamide, but definitely not as potent as something like tianeptine. But the draw is the lack of brutal withdrawals and tolerance. I'm not sure how to best make use of it yet, or how to interpret the increased 5-ht2a sensitivity (seems quite negative on paper from other sources, but maybe it's secondary, circumstantial or misinterpreted).

PeterPositive

I tried KSM-66 for the first time around the time you posted this thread. It's noticeable, a bit like niacinamide, but definitely not as potent as something like tianeptine.
You mean calming as niacinamide?
Oddly enough I don't get any effects on anxiety or mood with KSM-66 but I get better energy during the day and less fatigue.

I started at 300mgs/day and now taking experimenting with 900mgs/day with no side effects.

good luck

Tunguska

You mean calming as niacinamide?
Oddly enough I don't get any effects on anxiety or mood with KSM-66 but I get better energy during the day and less fatigue.

I started at 300mgs/day and now taking experimenting with 900mgs/day with no side effects.

good luck

Yeah a slight but noticeable calming anti-anxiety slightly focusing effect I recognize, and as typical for me provides not much motivation/dopamine or energy I rarely get those from GABA boosters unless it's a crazy overdose or first-time effect.

I think it was large doses though, winged it still waiting on a scale (I know).

I agree with you that downstream effects are immeasurable, and I wouldn't want to go down that particular rabbit-hole for every substance, drug, or supplement. However, the effect seems to have been profound in my case, and identical to the one I experienced from 5-HTP so in this particular case it's meaningful to me.

To extrapolate a little further, though, I actually wonder if what I was experiencing was not directly related to serotonin levels, but indirectly related to immune function. What I experienced could go along with serotonin syndrome, but also could have been a cytokine storm. So, not linked to increased serotonin per se, but linked to alterations in immune function.

There were honestly too many variables in my acute phase to be able to say. I did have Bell's-palsy-like symptoms following, with the right side of my face slumping for ages.

Hate even thinking about those times. My heart is with everyone who is still there.
Maybe a nightshade intolerance???

I've had a better experience with KSM-66 Ashwagandha compared to Sensoril (for anxiety). However, doing similar research myself I've heard conflicting views as to which is better for anxiety, relaxation, energy, etc. It really comes down to personal experience as it impacts everyone differently.

I wrote a detailed posts comparing KSM-66 to Sensoril Ashwagandha if you want to read my in-depth notes.