• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Horrible "funny turns" after eating

Wolfcub

Sometimes I get these "events" either while I am eating or up to an hour (usually an hour) after I've eaten. I can feel quite good, and naturally hungry, then eat and suddenly the horrible feelings start.
These are
fast heartbeat which was normal just before.
nervousness to the max. Restlessness
more rapid breathing
weakness in muscles and feeling like I am a wobbly jelly!
slight nausea.
want to burst into tears. (sometimes if I do, it eases symptoms. Also a very tiny shot of brandy can also ease symptoms if I have any around.)

I can't relate it to any specific foods. It can happen whatever I eat. It is also intermittent. Some days -nothing happens.

It always passes off and when an attack like this comes, it's fast, out of the blue, and goes away soon.
If I can't finish my food because of it I keep it cool and eat it when the attack has passed, a couple of hours or so later. Usually later when I finish it, there are no "funny turns".

skwag

Sounds like this could be dumping syndrome. Do you have POTS?

In this post @ryan31337 discusses his symptoms and links to a conference presentation where the speaker connects POTS and dumping syndrome. I seem to suffer from this, so it was well worth a watch for me.

Diwi9

Administrator
Most likely POTS. Consider looking into a zero gravity chair (you can find them on Amazon for about $60), it may help relieve some of these feelings after eating.

Shoshana

Northern USA
I wonder if those symptoms could be from all of the internal work, energy expended, processes, that the body needs to start and to go through, in order to break down and digest foods?

And intermittent, because there is variation in how much stamina we have, and can expend, at any time, as it varies for other activities as well.

I often go into a significant 'crash' when attempting to eat, even if the food was carefully chosen, and familiar. I too, struggle to continue if I believe that i need the food then and was hungry, but sometimes I just can't. Have to set it aside, and resume, later.
I don't have any idea if my difficulties are similar or not.

Wolfcub

Sounds like this could be dumping syndrome. Do you have POTS?

In this post @ryan31337 discusses his symptoms and links to a conference presentation where the speaker connects POTS and dumping syndrome. I seem to suffer from this, so it was well worth a watch for me.

I'm unsure about POTS to be honest. I don't seem to have POTS symptoms generally. I was reading about it and how to test and so I did the quick test, and....nothing. But I guess there are stages, degrees of it?

Most likely POTS. Consider looking into a zero gravity chair (you can find them on Amazon for about $60), it may help relieve some of these feelings after eating.

A zero gravity chair. Now that sounds wonderful! And not expensive. I'll take a look. Thank you.

I wonder if those symptoms could be from all of the internal work, energy expended, processes, that the body needs to start and to go through, in order to break down and digest foods?

And intermittent, because there is variation in how much stamina we have, and can expend, at any time, as it varies for other activities as well.

I often go into a significant 'crash' when attempting to eat, even if the food was carefully chosen, and familiar. I too, struggle to continue if I believe that i need the food then and was hungry, but sometimes I just can't. Have to set it aside, and resume, later.
I don't have any idea if my difficulties are similar or not.

What you describe sounds exactly what happens to me. And that might account for why it doesn't happen every day (for me anyway) It didn't happen this afternoon when I ate a decent meal, and I could happily finish the food.

Just before the symptoms rolled in, I started to feel absolutely wiped, like the strength in me and my legs were gone, and found myself sighing. To get air. Then the rest started but was over in about an hour and I finished the food later with a good appetite and no digestive upset at all. Likewise anything else I ate during the evening

Shoshana

Northern USA
Just before the symptoms rolled in, I started to feel absolutely wiped, like the strength in me and my legs were gone, and found myself sighing.

This is what I get. A total crash.
It is discouraging, when I am hungry and need food, and I even would like to enjoy the food that I had been waiting for.

lafarfelue

What size are the meals you're eating?

I've had to space my normal lunch time meal to 3-4 portions over the afternoon. I do this so that all my blood and energy doesn't go to my gut and away from my other functions, including brain and heart. I mention heart because how it operates (raised heart rate as it tries to compensate for energy and blood moving) can induce anxiety and pre-syncope.