• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Did your spouse or partner also get sick when you did, but recovered?

Did your spouse or partner become ill when you did but recovered?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2Cor.12:9

Hello. Can someone please help me out with this ? I'm curious as to how many ME/CFS patients had a spouse or significant other (non blood related) who got pretty sick with a virus or toxin when when they did, only completely recovered.

Thank you!

Last edited:

CreativeB

Interesting thought :nerd:

I've voted based on my husband when I first fell ill. But I think what initially triggered my relapse was gastroenteritis after eating bad beef when out for a meal. My mother-in-law also became ill but she recovered sorry I could only cast one vote but thought you might like to include this

Gingergrrl

I voted no but am now re-thinking this. We moved into a rental with toxic mold in Nov 2012 about two months before I got sick in Jan 2013 (but we did not yet know about the mold). My husband got pneumonia one month after we moved into this rental (in Dec 2012) but we were traveling and I cannot say how or why he got it.

I did not get sick until one month later, and it is unclear if my illness was related to his (and I had an upper respiratory infection but it was not pneumonia). In any case, he made a full recovery but I got severe POTS and got sicker and sicker from 2013 to mid 2016 until I began high dose IVIG and then Rituximab in mid 2017.

I currently consider myself in remission, but do not know if temporary or permanent, and absolutely do NOT consider myself "cured" because I am still having both of these treatments and take many other medications.

ukxmrv

My partner at that time didn't get as sick as i did. I had severe flu like symptoms and became unconscious with a high fever. He was only mildly affected by something and it's even possible he was having hayfever instead.

Runner5

Actually, though a coworker did get sick with me the first time I got ill, but I got better for a short time - he did not. He had to quit his job and go on disability. He was never diagnosed to my knowledge. Then I got ill again and was so knackered I had to quit my job, but then moved and was a little better for about 4 years, then got sick again with the fatigue and haven't got my legs under me again. West Nile did break out that year we got sick and I'm pretty sure I had it, but not sure if my coworker Larry had it. Larry and I both worked on computers and the web site, I thought maybe our brains just broke from too much computer use. He was a few years older than me and a smoker - I figured maybe he drew the short straw because of that and I would have been in the same boat if I had been in his shoes. I was in my early 30's back then.

I have been sickly my entire life though and have never had robust health. This fatigue though - man it's a different animal. I get worn out doing dumb stuff like having to watch a movie, god I hate watching movies now, it's so much work. *sigh*

2Cor.12:9

Actually, though a coworker did get sick with me the first time I got ill, but I got better for a short time - he did not. He had to quit his job and go on disability. He was never diagnosed to my knowledge. Then I got ill again and was so knackered I had to quit my job, but then moved and was a little better for about 4 years, then got sick again with the fatigue and haven't got my legs under me again. West Nile did break out that year we got sick and I'm pretty sure I had it, but not sure if my coworker Larry had it. Larry and I both worked on computers and the web site, I thought maybe our brains just broke from too much computer use. He was a few years older than me and a smoker - I figured maybe he drew the short straw because of that and I would have been in the same boat if I had been in his shoes. I was in my early 30's back then.

I have been sickly my entire life though and have never had robust health. This fatigue though - man it's a different animal. I get worn out doing dumb stuff like having to watch a movie, god I hate watching movies now, it's so much work. *sigh*
That's an interesting story @Runner5 - I know what you mean about the fatigue. They really need a better term for it - like cellsmadeoflead or something. Thx for sharing.