• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Perforinopathy: a spectrum of human immune disease caused by defective perforin delivery or function

nanonug

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24376445

Abstract
Congenital perforin deficiency is considered a rare cause of human immunopathology and immune dysregulation, and classically presents as a fatal illness early in infancy. However, we propose that a group of related disorders in which killer lymphocytes deliver only partially active perforin or a reduced quantum of wild-type perforin to the immune synapse should be considered part of an extended syndrome with overlapping but more variable clinical features. Apart from the many rare mutations scattered over the coding sequences, up to 10% of Caucasians carry the severely hypomorphic PRF1 allele C272 > T (leading to A91V mutation) and the overall prevalence of the homozygous state for A91V is around 1 in 600 individuals. We therefore postulate that the partial loss of perforin function and its clinical consequences may be more common then currently suspected. An acute clinical presentation is infrequent in A91V heterozygous individuals, but we postulate that the partial loss of perforin function may potentially be manifested in childhood or early adulthood as "idiopathic" inflammatory disease, or through increased cancer susceptibility - either hematological malignancy or multiple, independent primary cancers. We suggest the new term "perforinopathy" to signify the common functional endpoints of all the known consequences of perforin deficiency and failure to deliver fully functional perforin.

Note: PRF1 A91V is SNP rs35947132. Risk allele is 'T' (or 'A")

Last edited:

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
23andme tells me I'm G/G for this SNP. My brainfog is preventing me from figuring out if that's good or bad... ?

nanonug

23andme tells me I'm G/G for this SNP. My brainfog is preventing me from figuring out if that's good or bad... ?

I edited my original post to clarify that the risk allele is 'T' or 'A'. You're good when it comes to this one. Unfortunately, 23andMe doesn't test for a bunch of others that might be associated with hypofunction.