• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Infection and inflammation in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder

pattismith

Infection and inflammation in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder

Highlights

Bipolar patients showed increased soluble CD14 and C-reactive protein in plasma.

Schizophrenia patients showed increased soluble CD14 in plasma.

Bipolar patients had increased levels of antibodies for CMV IgM and HSV-2 IgG.

Cognitive function and CMV IgG level were negatively correlated in bipolar patients.

Abstract
The present study investigated the relationship between exposure to infectious agents and inflammation markers in individuals with schizophrenia (SZ), bipolar disorder (BP), and controls without a psychiatric disorder. We measured plasma levels of antibodies and innate immune markers and correlated them with clinical symptoms and cognitive function. In both SZ and BP, we found an increase in soluble CD14, and in BP an increase in C-reactive protein, IgM class antibodies against cytomegalovirus (CMV), and IgG class antibodies against herpes simplex virus 2. Furthermore in BP, we observed a negative relationship between IgG antibodies against CMV and scores for cognitive function.

anni66

mum to ME daughter
Given that dopamine is affected in both disorders and seems to influence CD 14 in HIV
( Too technical for me - see below) biological unravelling of mechanisms can only be a good thing.
How does research cross medical discipline boundaries- there seem to be many such potential possibilities, but little " joined upness"
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0117450

CD 14 expression/ levels in CNS has also been linked to Parkinsons ( mice models).

andyguitar

I do remember reading something a while back that showed a possible relationship between genetic differences in the immune system and the rate of a range of 'Psychiatric' disorders. I am fairly confident that in the not to distant future the idea that these problems are to do with the mind will be discarded in the same way that psychological theories about MS were.

pattismith

soluble CD14 is a non specific marker of macrophage activation, it is increased in many inflammatory diseases.

Blood soluble CD14 is also increased in HIV men using alcohol.

@anni66 , it's interesting to notice that drug abuse is inducing more dopamine in the brain which produces more inflammation in HIV people.

What is interesting is to notice inflammatory markers and infection coincidence in diseases that are considered psychiatric for so long....

Schizophrenia has been linked also to Toxoplasmosis

http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/123766/

anni66

mum to ME daughter
I do remember reading something a while back that showed a possible relationship between genetic differences in the immune system and the rate of a range of 'Psychiatric' disorders. I am fairly confident that in the not to distant future the idea that these problems are to do with the mind will be discarded in the same way that psychological theories about MS were.
Schizophrenia historically was treated with niacin (B3).
You only have to look at the impact of all the B vits as cofactors to appreciate the impact neurologically and physically of deficiencies.
Unravelling genetics and pethaps more importantly the role of epigenetics in modulating the roles of these and other cofactors may offer alternative treatments to currently poorly understood conditions- interesting paper
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4772032/#!po=20.1245

anni66

mum to ME daughter
soluble CD14 is a non specific marker of macrophage activation, it is increased in many inflammatory diseases.

Blood soluble CD14 is also increased in HIV men using alcohol.

@anni66 , it's interesting to notice that drug abuse is inducing more dopamine in the brain which produces more inflammation in HIV people.

What is interesting is to notice inflammatory markers and infection coincidence in diseases that are considered psychiatric for so long....

Schizophrenia has been linked also to Toxoplasmosis

http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/123766/
Yes - like any addiction the body requires more to get the same " hit". Sugar is no different - insulin resistance also induces an inflammatory response

andyguitar

Yes as @anni66 says B3 has been used to treat Schitzophrenia, Folic Acid to. But I am not convinced that they work because the patient has a deficiency of either. I'm more interested in what could be called the 'Pharmacological Effect' of them. I expect someone here has a better way of describing this! The infection/inflammation connection is a very difficult one to unravel. What comes first? I am going to stick my neck out and say its inflammation that causes the symptoms. And the immune system response is triggered by the inflammation not the other way around.