• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Burning when urinating

outdamnspot

For the past four weeks, I've had burning at the entrance to my penis .. initially, it was when I urinated, but now it's low-level and constant (flaring up at times). I was describing my symptoms to a friend and also mentioned that I've had a kind of weird throbbing in my back (which I always thought was my adrenals), but she said it could all be a kidney infection. My eyes burn, and I've noticed a general deterioration in my energy levels (which were bad anyway).

I made a doctor's appointment, but am scared. I can barely tolerate supplements, so even if I have an infection, what could I do? I'm nervous about antibiotics, and doctors don't really believe how fragile I am (I was given three new antidepressants last week to take simultaneously and just threw the sample boxes away).

Then again, maybe if an infection is making me even worse, treating it could help? Are there any abx that are 'safer' for (severe) ME patients?

There is one herbal antibiotic (Haritaki) that I can take without issue, so maybe that's an option too.

Do you have D Ribose? I think it's as effective on UTI's as antibiotics. Something about the bacteria attracted to this 'sugar" releasing it from UT and thereby flushed down the loo.

notmyself

it sounds like urinary tract/ kidney infection and you absolutelly need to take care of that somehow..An active untreated infection will only make things worse,in some cases it can lead to dialisis and life threteaning situation ,so go and take care of it..

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
This isn't medical advice, just some comments from others who have apparently found D Mannose to be very useful for UTIs.

D Mannose, From Hotch on Phoenix Rising:
At the first sign of urine frequency or irritation, my daughter, Mum, sister in law and me take "D Mannose". It works brilliantly for "e-coli" germ which Causes 85% of UTIs (dif E. coli to food poisoning). Unfortunately if someone's is caused by other germ, it won't work. It is natural and is phenomenal. Good effects are felt within half an hour. My daughter and sister in law had both had a bad history with almost constant U.T.Is and kidney infections. No more since having D Mannose in cupboard. I get it from iherb, now brand.

D Mannose, from Kerri Knox, RN:
In any case, I URGE you to look into a natural substance called D Mannose Supplements which can completely eliminate urinary tract infections in a day or two without antibiotics. The discovery of D-Mannose was actually what got me into natural medicine in the first place. I had the first UTI of my life and I though, "There's GOT to be something other than antibiotics for this." and my research brought me to D-Mannose which took away a raging UTI by the next day! No antibiotics necessary.

outdamnspot

I do have some D-Ribose, actually. I was nervous to try it because of my supplement sensitivity, but will give it a shot tomorrow.

raghav

@outdamnspot Take one teaspoon of ghee twice with food or on empty stomach. You can get ghee from any Indian store near your place. Do this regularly. The burning sensation will vanish. If the burning sensation is still not going away consult your doctor for UTI antibiotics and after the course of antibiotics start on ghee daily as I said. Burning sensation will go away.

I do have some D-Ribose, actually. I was nervous to try it because of my supplement sensitivity, but will give it a shot tomorrow.
Do you have D Ribose? I think it's as effective on UTI's as antibiotics. Something about the bacteria attracted to this 'sugar" releasing it from UT and thereby flushed down the loo.
No, you mean D-Mannose, not D-Ribose. That Mercola link was just the top one to come up in a google search, I hope it’s helpful. The D-Ribose won’t help a urinary tract infection, and might make dysbiosis is or yeast overgrowth worse if used excessively.

For the past four weeks, I've had burning at the entrance to my penis .. initially, it was when I urinated, but now it's low-level and constant (flaring up at times). I was describing my symptoms to a friend and also mentioned that I've had a kind of weird throbbing in my back (which I always thought was my adrenals), but she said it could all be a kidney infection. My eyes burn, and I've noticed a general deterioration in my energy levels (which were bad anyway).

I made a doctor's appointment, but am scared. I can barely tolerate supplements, so even if I have an infection, what could I do? I'm nervous about antibiotics, and doctors don't really believe how fragile I am (I was given three new antidepressants last week to take simultaneously and just threw the sample boxes away).

Then again, maybe if an infection is making me even worse, treating it could help? Are there any abx that are 'safer' for (severe) ME patients?

There is one herbal antibiotic (Haritaki) that I can take without issue, so maybe that's an option too.
Sounds like you have a urinary tract infection my friend, possibly kidney also, or prostate.

One thing I will say clearly is to be very wary of taking Fluoroquinolone antibiotics, like Ciprofloxacin, for example. I had a severe adverse reaction to them, and still experience side effects today, 10 years later.

You may want to consider alternatives like oregano oil.