• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Written question 106121: Frank Field 06-10-2017

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Yet another question to the UK Government:

Department of Health
To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what assessment he has made of the effect of cognitive behavioural therapy and graded exercise therapy treatment administered by the NHS on the health and wellbeing of people suffering with (a) myalgic encephalomyelitis and (b) chronic fatigue syndrome.

Asked by Frank Field
(Birkenhead)
Asked on: 06 October 2017

MeSci

Yet another question to the UK Government:

Department of Health
To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what assessment he has made of the effect of cognitive behavioural therapy and graded exercise therapy treatment administered by the NHS on the health and wellbeing of people suffering with (a) myalgic encephalomyelitis and (b) chronic fatigue syndrome.

Asked by Frank Field
(Birkenhead)
Asked on: 06 October 2017
This is the URL: http://www.parliament.uk/business/p...s/written-question/Commons/2017-10-06/106121/

MeSci

Oddly-worded answer:

http://www.parliament.uk/business/p...s/written-question/Commons/2017-10-06/106121/

No assessment he has made of the effect of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and graded exercise therapy (GET) treatment offered by the National Health Service for patients with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME).

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guideline on CFS/ME, published in 2007 and rounitely reviewed thereafter, recommends treatments such as CBT and GET approaches be considered. On 20 September 2017, NICE announced its decision to undertake a full update of this guideline, following a review of the latest available evidence on the diagnosis and management of CFS/ME and a public consultation. More information on this decision can be found at the following link:

www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg53/resources/surveillance-report-2017-chronic-fatigue-syndromemyalgic-encephalomyelitis-or-encephalopathy-diagnosis-and-management-2007-nice-guideline-cg53-pdf-5964455783941

NelliePledge

Oddly-worded answer:

http://www.parliament.uk/business/p...s/written-question/Commons/2017-10-06/106121/

No assessment he has made of the effect of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and graded exercise therapy (GET) treatment offered by the National Health Service for patients with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME).

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guideline on CFS/ME, published in 2007 and rounitely reviewed thereafter, recommends treatments such as CBT and GET approaches be considered. On 20 September 2017, NICE announced its decision to undertake a full update of this guideline, following a review of the latest available evidence on the diagnosis and management of CFS/ME and a public consultation. More information on this decision can be found at the following link:

www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg53/resources/surveillance-report-2017-chronic-fatigue-syndromemyalgic-encephalomyelitis-or-encephalopathy-diagnosis-and-management-2007-nice-guideline-cg53-pdf-5964455783941
The Civil servant who wrote this has been trained to answer the question in a factually accurate way with the minimum input. The Secretary of State for health doesn't get his hands dirty actually doing anything like assessing or reviewing he's got the likes of NICE he can palm that off onto. the NICE wording will be a standard paragraph they use in all qs about the guideline review. Literally a 10 second cut and paste job.
They have garbled the wording at the start of it I don't know how that got through checks. Reads like Yoda