• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Some concerns about homeopathy

alex3619

It sounded scientifically plausible.
Lots of our treatments, including ME treatments, and including everyday medical care, are scientifically plausible. That is not the same as proven or reliable. We go to medical authorities and hope they can help. In the case of ME they usually don't.

There is a guesstimate that half of all medicine is wrong, and even more of psychiatry. Science is a method, not a destination.

The way I consider it is that these things are working hypotheses, including my CFS diagnosis and ME diagnosis. Whether we do it ourselves, or under medical advice, we are basically the test subjects in ongoing experiments. With something as complex as ME these treatments usually fail, or fail over time.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Lots of our treatments, including ME treatments, and including everyday medical care, are scientifically plausible.
I'm currently reading "Thinking Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman (yes I know, I've been on it for ages ...). He says that the key factor in whether someone will create / adopot / hold onto a belief is whether it is plausible. That trumps everything - evidence, reason, facts, everything. Our problem is that M.E. isn't very plausible.

Our problem is that M.E. isn't very plausible
But somehow homeopathy is plausible.
It comes down to what it suits people to believe.

So far today I have chosen to believe @Marky90 can fly. He can fly highest when he sings R Kelly songs.

I slept well last night after two nights of awful broken sleep. I have chosen to believe that the quiche I ate for supper had magic soporific qualities and the previous nights of bad sleep had nothing to do with drinking Cava.

So far today I have chosen to believe @Marky90 can fly. He can fly highest when he sings R Kelly songs.

I slept well last night after two nights of awful broken sleep. I have chosen to believe that the quiche I ate for supper had magic soporific qualities and the previous nights of bad sleep had nothing to do with drinking Cava.
Well my immediate response to @Marky90 s claim was belief then through reasoned logic I decided that this has become implausible ....mainly because if it were true I don't think he would restrict travel to just Sunday

Ahh, but what you have done there is dilute the Cava with sufficient amounts of quiche, so that it now allows you to sleep. ;)

brenda

It is implausible that the Royal family, many medical doctors in Germany, and a very large percentage of the population, many veterinary surgeons and their patient's owners, believe that homeopathy works if it doesn't.

Hajnalka

It is implausible that the Royal family, many medical doctors in Germany, and a very large percentage of the population, many veterinary surgeons and their patient's owners, believe that homeopathy works if it doesn't.

It's also implausible that the Royal family, many medical doctors in Germany, and a very large percentage of the population, many veterinary surgeons and their patient's owners believe that ME doesn't exist if it does.

Cheshire

As the majority of doctors do not believe homeopathy works, then followig your reasonning, homeopathy doesn't work. (and following your reasonning, ME is a psychiatric disorder).

A.B.

This is a poor argument as it's easy to come up with historical examples of widespread beliefs that were clearly wrong. Without a doubt, many people can share a belief that is incorrect.

I'm not sure which member of the royal family subscribe to this ...presumably prince Charles since he seems to have a lot of alternative views, but why does that give a ringing endorsement?

The royals are just human beings that are prone to the power of suggestion like any body else?

In fact I would suggest (pun intended) that they may be more susceptible since they live an otherworldly non practical and cosseted life. They are also into tradition a lot so may like the idea of upholding some more outdated views on things. I think they still uphold some mediaeval practices to this day.

Sea

Science does not know everything!

What about the vets who use it?

http://www.glenbrae-vet.co.uk/homeopathy

Don't you think the pet owners would cotton on if it is hokum?

From the link you gave:

"After an in-depth initial consultation, Wendy prescribed two homeopathic remedies plus a probiotic supplement and a change of diet."

"Wendy suggested a new diet (which he absolutely loves!) and a course of two different homoeopathic tablets."

So, this was my homeopathic adventure. What do you think?

Could this be placebo, when I was not at all believing this was not going to help me? And regretting spending my money? Feeling really stupid buying into this "quackery"?
There is also the distinct possibility in this unregulated field that what you were given was not what it was claimed to be. Although there is literally nothing in true homeopathic remedies, there have been cases where bottles have been tested and found to contain all manner of substances.