• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Immunology conference today in Chicago

Kati

Patient in training
https://www.eventscribe.com/2017/FOCIS/agenda.asp?h=Full Schedule

There will be 4 hours scientific presentation titled 'Insights into the Immunology of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' today in Chicago, sponsored by NIH (NIAID) and featuring some of the proeminent researchers in the field. Here is further info upon finding it on the schedule:

Member Society Symposia

Insights into the Immunology of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Wednesday, June 14
12:45 PM - 4:45 PM

Sponsored By:
-ExhibitorLogo-116123.png

Myalgic encephalomyelitis /chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a debilitating and complex disorder that severely impacts the life of ~2 million Americans. There is no documented cause of ME/CFS, it is difficult to diagnose, and there are no specific biomarkers nor diagnostic testing available currently. Multiple recent ME/CFS expert panels have recommended multidisciplinary, novel approaches to gain a better understanding of ME/CFS. This symposium will bring together immunologists working in the ME/CFS field to review progress of immunological studies and foster collaborations on biomarker discovery, immune mechanisms and potential therapeutic development.

Chair:
Joseph Breen, PhD, National Institutes of Health

Program:

12:45p.m. Welcome and Objectives
Joseph Breen, PhD, National Institutes of Health and Vicky Whittemore, PhD, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke

12:50 p.m. The Public Health Problem of ME/CFS
Elizabeth Unger, MD, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

1:15 p.m. Evidence of T-Cell activity in ME/CFS
Mark Davis, PhD, Stanford University

1:45 p.m. Immunological characterisation of ME/CFS cases and controls from the UK ME/CFS Biobank
Eleanor Riley, PhD, University of London

2:35 p.m. - Coffee break

2:55 p.m. Pathobiology of ME/CFS
Ian Lipkin, MD, Columbia University

3:35 p.m. Circulating Cytokine Signatures Associated with ME/CFS Severity and Duration
Jose Montoya, MD, Stanford University

4:15 p.m. Question/Answer Forum
All speakers

Learning Objectives:
  • This half‐day symposium will provide a forum for experts in the immunology of ME/CFS to present the current state of the science to key clinical immunology stakeholders. These interactions should stimulate new approaches to decipher the mechanistic and immunological underpinnings of ME/CFS. Such collaborative efforts will open new research avenues and potential clinical solutions to combat ME/CFS.

Footnote: I do not believe there is webcasting for this, it would be nice if it was.

msf

Lipkin´s title seems rather grandiose, I wonder if he is going to outline his theory of ME.

Gemini

I submitted a request to the Trans-NIH ME/CFS Working Group they make a video, transcript and/or slides available of all the presentations, including Mark Davis', if possible.
Reply received today from NINDS:

Thank you for your inquiry about the "Insights into the Immunology of CFS" session of the recent FOCiS Conference. The FOCIS session was not videocast, and the organizers are not distributing a transcript or slides. However, information from the session will be summarized at the next Trans-NIH ME/CFS Working Group telebriefing on July 10. Additional information about the telebriefing will be distributed to the Trans-NIH ME/CFS Information list when it is closer to the event date.

Sincerely,
Marian Emr
Director, Office of Communications and Public Liaison
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
on behalf of the Trans-NIH ME/CFS Working Group

charles shepherd

Professor Eleanor Riley is an immunologist at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and works with the ME Biobank team which is based there.

The ME Biobank forms a sub-biobank within the UCL Biobank at the Royal Free Hospital

Professor Riley was presenting results from an immunological study study that was carried out using blood samples from the ME Biobank

ME Biobank:http://cureme.lshtm.ac.uk

Professor Eleanor Riley:https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/aboutus/people/riley.eleanor

NIH grant for ME Biobank studiies:http://grantome.com/grant/NIH/R01-AI103629-01A1

Public Health Relevance
This is, to our knowledge, the first longitudinal study of ME/CFS to incorporate both mild and severe cases, age, sex, and residence-matched Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and healthy controls, and to incorporate virological, immunological and gene expression data into the same study. There is a clear need for research in these areas, and the inclusion of severe cases using home visits will allow for research on a subset of patients often neglected in ME/CFS studies. Because approximately 1-4 million Americans have ME/CFS, this study has the potential to impact the lives of a large patient population in the US as well as advance the state of the field in the US, UK, and globally through the potential identification of evidence related to disease etiology and pathophysiology as well as disease subtypes and biomarkers, revealing potential routes for treatment.

Dr Charles Shepherd
Hon Medical Adviser, MEA
Chair - ME Biobank Steering Group

Last edited:

Londinium

Professor Eleanor Riley is an immunologist at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and works with the ME Biobank team which is based there.

The ME Biobank forms a sub-biobank within the UCL Biobank at the Royal Free Hospital

Professor Riley was presenting results from an immunological study study that was carried out using blood samples from the ME Biobank

ME Biobank:http://cureme.lshtm.ac.uk

Professor Eleanor Riley:https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/aboutus/people/riley.eleanor

NIH grant for ME Biobank studiies:http://grantome.com/grant/NIH/R01-AI103629-01A1

Public Health Relevance
This is, to our knowledge, the first longitudinal study of ME/CFS to incorporate both mild and severe cases, age, sex, and residence-matched Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and healthy controls, and to incorporate virological, immunological and gene expression data into the same study. There is a clear need for research in these areas, and the inclusion of severe cases using home visits will allow for research on a subset of patients often neglected in ME/CFS studies. Because approximately 1-4 million Americans have ME/CFS, this study has the potential to impact the lives of a large patient population in the US as well as advance the state of the field in the US, UK, and globally through the potential identification of evidence related to disease etiology and pathophysiology as well as disease subtypes and biomarkers, revealing potential routes for treatment.

Dr Charles Shepherd
Hon Medical Adviser, MEA
Chair - ME Biobank Steering Group

I'm guessing that, given this is also now being trailed on the MEA website, the results are interesting rather than a null finding? Or am I reading too much into it?

(A totally unfair question as I realise you cannot comment :)).

Last edited:

charles shepherd

At this point I'm afraid I cannot go any further than to point you back to the announcement from NIH - who are funding this longitudinal study of immune system function at the ME Biobank

As you can see, one of the aims of the study is to find out what happens to immune system functioning during an exacerbation or relapse of ME/CFS

The NIH study has also been obtaining data on the same aspects of immune system function in people with mild, moderate and severe ME/CFS

This is one of the big advantages of having an ME Biobank that has blood samples from all grades of ME/CFS severity with anonymised clinical data attached

CS

Gemini

@charles shepherd, thank you for your excellent work helping patients and for posting links re: this "most" important study.The schedule indicates it began in 2013 and ended in 2016,13 months ago, if I'm reading correctly.

Do you happen to know if Prof. Riley presented "actual" study results at this Conference which covers the latest breakthroughs in immune-mediated diseases?

Reason for asking I don't see a published paper about the study from Dr. Nacul, et al in PubMed yet. Might they be publishing soon do you know?

Gemini

Yes would like to know what Mark Davis is saying about T cells, I don't believe we have heard much on that before.
NIH has just posted the transcript of the July 10th briefing; Dr. Breen's summary of Dr. Mark Davis' ME/CFS findings:

And then we heard some of the work that’s supported by Mark Davis at Stanford. And Mark has really pioneered the way to go from how the immune system senses either an external or internal antigen and then actually how that response is generated.

And it’s very groundbreaking work in that he can go from not knowing what the body is responding to, to actually doing detective work and tracking back to find where the original response was. For example, in a large cohort of chronic fatigue patients he has now found a number of new antigens that correlate with disease. And he hasn’t published this yet, and he’s not ready to tell us because he needs to be 100 percent certain of what these antigens are, but I think the approach itself is really groundbreaking. It was published about a month ago for TB. [my bold]

https://www.nih.gov/research-traini...ives/mecfs/nih-me/cfs-advocacy-call-july-2017