• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

This is Your Brain on Acid (Seriously) 6/1/17 Reason.com

*GG*

The study of psychedelics is "bringing psychotherapy and medicine together," says David Nutt, a neuropsychopharmacologist at Imperial College London and a co-author of the first imaging study looking at the effects of LSD on the human brain. "Drug-assisted psychotherapy is going to be the great advance in the [field in the] next 20 years."

cont'd

GG

http://reason.com/reasontv/2017/06/01/david-nutt-lsd-drugs

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
The study of psychedelics is "bringing psychotherapy and medicine together," says David Nutt, a neuropsychopharmacologist at Imperial College London and a co-author of the first imaging study looking at the effects of LSD on the human brain. "Drug-assisted psychotherapy is going to be the great advance in the [field in the] next 20 years."

cont'd

GG

http://reason.com/reasontv/2017/06/01/david-nutt-lsd-drugs
Interesting. I might try LSD again some day, but I stopped in the 80s as I started getting depressed on it. Maybe it was dodgy stuff, or maybe I was in a bad place.

pamojja

I wonder if this massive boost in brain metabolism isn't following by a good crash.

Remember from my youth, usually there isn't a crash, but sort of a afterglow slowly diminishing. Worst case scenario is, of course, those who get permanently psychotic from an LSD trip. But that I saw happening after really intensive meditation retreats too. Where I suspect some latency in vulnerable individuals. After all, about 1 in 185 in the west experience at one point in their life schizophrenia.

barbc56

This guy is a Timothy Leary wannabe and a throwback to Freudian theory of your subconscious controlling your behavior.

A disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited:

Deepwater

This guy is a Timothy Leary wannabe and a throwback to Freudian theory of your subconscious controlling your behavior.

A disaster waiting to happen.

Absolutely. This is the idiot who advised Tony Blair's government to reclassify cannabis, including skunk, to Class C, encouraging a whole generation of youngsters to believe it was completely safe. Many, many unnecessary cases of schizophrenia as a result.