• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is there a link between hypothyroidism and MCAS?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Lyme disease can attack the thyroid and cause MCAS so that is one possible link. I have MCAS but not hypothyroidism, although my mother has Hashimotos. My thyroid levels have been on the edge of suspect at times and I tried thyroid meds for subclinical hypothyroidism but the meds just made me ill.

liverock

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6411454
Influence of mast cells on thyroid function.
Bianco AC, Nunes MT, Douglas CR.
Abstract
The role of mast cells on thyroid gland function was studied with respect to two sites of thyroid control: 1. the thyroid gland; 2. the hypothalamus pituitary system. It was observed that the treatment with disodium cromoglycate (mast cells stabilizer) partially blocked the TSH actions on thyroid gland, thus evidencing the thyroidal mast cells as an intermediary factor of TSH actions on thyroid gland. Furthermore, both T4 and T3 serum concentrations were increased after compound BW48-80 (mast cells disrupter polymer) was administered, concomitantly with increased 1 and 24 h radioiodine uptake, T/S ratio, PB131I and TSH serum concentration. The alterations were not observed in the rats pre-treated with disodium cromoglycate and administered with BW48-80. Finally, BW48-80 promoted an elevation of TSH serum concentration in T4-primed thyroidectomized rats. This phenomenon was completely prevented by the pretreatment with cromoglycate, which confirmed the active participation of mast cells on TRH and/or TSH secretion.