• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Valley Fever Fungus Invades the Brain in 3 Rare Cases

cman89

I read somewhere recently about different bacteria,fungus,and parasites in the sand of Iraq, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia being partially implicated in Gulf War syndrome, so I think certain cases of Valley fever could be plausible in Me type illness.

antares4141

I read somewhere recently about different bacteria,fungus,and parasites in the sand of Iraq, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia being partially implicated in Gulf War syndrome, so I think certain cases of Valley fever could be plausible in Me type illness.

Interesting hypothesis on GWS.
Apparently it's diagnosable but almost certainly goes undiagnosed more times than not because of the invasiveness and expense of the tests.
And there is no reason why some such similar pathogen exist's to where there isn't at this time isn't any test for.

IreneF

Valley Fever is a New World disease, so it doesn't explain cases of ME/CFS in people who've never even been to North or South America. It's also limited to certain geographic areas. In North America it's endemic to the Southwest US and Northern Mexico.

cman89

Valley Fever is a New World disease, so it doesn't explain cases of ME/CFS in people who've never even been to North or South America. It's also limited to certain geographic areas. In North America it's endemic to the Southwest US and Northern Mexico.
True, however this illness can be triggered by quite a few different pathogens, at least according to some major hypotheses.

IreneF

I'm not sure about whether what I/we have was triggered by the rather ordinary flu-like condition that kept coming back and coming back, or whether it was first illness (or the first symptoms) I experienced after some internal change that started the trip downhill. See what I mean?

In the case of GWS, you'd think it would be prevalent among the people who live in the Gulf states if it were caused by a pathogen endemic to the area. See, for example, hantavirus in the US Southwest:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Four_Corners_hantavirus_outbreak
The people living there already had a clue about mice being disease carriers ("bad luck").

Medical investigators have become pretty good at discovering pathogens. So I think it's fairly unlikely that an unknown infection causes GWS. But really I don't know much about it. Just trying to think like a detectve.

cman89

I'm not sure about whether what I/we have was triggered by the rather ordinary flu-like condition that kept coming back and coming back, or whether it was first illness (or the first symptoms) I experienced after some internal change that started the trip downhill. See what I mean?

In the case of GWS, you'd think it would be prevalent among the people who live in the Gulf states if it were caused by a pathogen endemic to the area. See, for example, hantavirus in the US Southwest:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Four_Corners_hantavirus_outbreak
The people living there already had a clue about mice being disease carriers ("bad luck").

Medical investigators have become pretty good at discovering pathogens. So I think it's fairly unlikely that an unknown infection causes GWS. But really I don't know much about it. Just trying to think like a detectve.
Ive always wondered about that Gulf states phenomenon, however I think it is doubly possible that locals have a degree of resistance to pathogens endemic to the region, and that sickness numbers may be under reported. Thirdly, it could also be that it required a "prefect storm"of triggers for the GWS to occur. Perhaps it was the oil well fires, PB pills, chemical weapons residue, and possible infection in various permutations that led to the effect. The first three aren't exactly common occurrences in the gulf.

frozenborderline

Interesting hypothesis on GWS.
Apparently it's diagnosable but almost certainly goes undiagnosed more times than not because of the invasiveness and expense of the tests.
And there is no reason why some such similar pathogen exist's to where there isn't at this time isn't any test for.
I got valley fever I'm pretty sure. Do u have any experience w it or recommendations for doctors in new Mexico